Do you think it is OK?

Syphon---it isn't my children or me that it happened to we witnessed it in a restaurant and I was just wondering what others would do or say

LET ME CLARIFY THIS

IF YOU ARE IN A RESTAURANT AND A TOTAL STRANGER COMES UP AND SAYS

that you don't know how to handle your kids that you should have never had kids and that you need to have more control over them? Or does this irk you and you tell them just to mind their own business? 

My children are well behaved in a restaurant also or they know the consequences when they get home I was just wondering because we saw this happen and the woman acted like she wanted to punch the person.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have never been told that before but I think if they can be brave enough to tell me I am a bad parent then I can be brave enough to tell them to mind their own business and that would be with trying to restrain my DH he is very protective of me & his girls so he doesn't think he acts when someone does or says something to us. Then I would let my kids get on their nerves that much more since it bothers them so much!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:31 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I have never had a stranger critique my parenting. I guess if I did, I'd probably just ignore them or if they were really, really rude about it, I'd tell them to bugger off.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:16 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I have never had that happen. If it were I would tell them I appreciate their concern but maybe they should mind their own business since I dont appreciate being harassed.

Answer by gemgem at 9:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I think it would really bother me if they said things like that point blankly withouth even knowing me. I have to say that at times I have talked to people about their children not because I was being mean, because I was trying to offer help. so I guess it really depends on how they say it.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Never happened to me but it reminds me of a story re: my aunt - she was in a grocery store and spanked my cousin for something and a woman came over to yell at her and my aunt told her "Shutup lady or you're next!". I laugh every time I think of it; if you knew my aunt, you would too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• that has never, nor will ever happen. my child behaves as a 5yo behaves..and if someone was offended by that, or the way i 'controlled' him, they could stuff it up any orifice they choose.
    if that were to ever happen, my dh would have to use all three of his muscles to hold me back..coz someone would be laid out, and it wouldn't be me.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• ive never had that happen but i wouldve told them where they could shove their opinion.. esp if they dont know me or my kids its nobodys business how u handle ur kids.. unless ur beating them which im sure youre not
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Well I've never been told that. Infact i've been told the opposite. But I imagine that if someone came up to me and said that I would be pissed
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• wow? said it just like that? my SO would probably have a hard time restraining himself from some type of physical response.
    i'm actually a little more passive when it comes to things a stranger might say to me. i usually just blindly assume they could be having a rough day and they don't know how to keep their feelings in check. their mom died or something. idk.

other than that, if it really got to me, depending on how my child was behaving, i find it more fun to come up with a confusing comeback.
    "What? What child? I don't know what you're talking about? I've never had children *yelling over child's cries* IT'S PRETTY QUIET IN HERE TO ME. YOU MUST BE HEARING THINGS." & then ignore them for the rest of the time we're forced to be near each other.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 9:27 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• my child is generally pretty quiet. so we've never had this as an issue. but that is what i'd do. haha ^
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 9:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2011