To Go or Not to Go? (Homecoming dance for 6-12 yr olds)

Ok so my dd is 6, just turned 6 in fact. She was put on cheer this fall for football and the age range for that was 5-12 yrs old. She did real well for her age and was invited to cheer for Basketball (normally they have to be 6-12). Of course we did it. Basketball season ends this week. Saturday we have an awards ceremony to pick up dd's latest trophy & any other awards she may have earned. I am good with this. It is at noon, would be over around 1-2pm.
The coach said we would than return at 6pm for the homecoming dance. Now each team chose 2 girls to represent the team and be on homecoming court. My dd was not chosen probably because she is just so young. I am good with that too. We find out who gets homecoming queen (done by fundraising not looks or votes per say), and who are the princesses and all that.
I talked to some other moms yesterday because I have no clue what my dd is supposed to wear? I have plenty of dresses, and skirts and all that. I am sure I can put something together. The moms (their dd's are younger like mine) said they arent going. They said it is aimed more for the bigger kids. Makes sense. My dd would like to go though. Should I take her? Or just do something else with her Saturday night?

Asked by gemgem at 9:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would let her go. I agree with NannyB that children need to be children and we try to make them grow up fast, atlhough I do not think going to this dance will cause her to grow up to fast. If she would like to go then I would let her and go with her and have a great time. To me it sounds like it is a great party for the families that have been involoved and they just call it a homecoming dance. If she is really interested in going then I would take her. I think it will be a lot of fun and something she will always remember. I also don't think if she goes to this that she won't look forward to high school dances because highschool dances are different. Usually you get asked to those and your parents don't go with you.

In the end I think you have to do what you think is best although if it were me i would take her.

Good Luck and have fun!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I think that if children start going to dances and the like when they are so young, there is none of that to look forward to when they are older. My children are all grown now, and I know the pressure is greater now than it was when mine were young, but I did not allow them to go. I think that in general there is a push to make our children grow up too quickly, and I firmly believe that children need to just be children for as long as they can be. There's enough adulthood and all the pressures that come with it! Childhood is too precious to be used up on adult activities!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• If you think she would enjoy it, take her. If you don't think she'd care either way, maybe do something else.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:31 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The dance isnt just for the kids though. The parents are all invited as well. Its a family event. Sorry I wasnt clearer.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• if she really wants to go and youd be there too i say take her... there sno harm in it
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I probably would not take her. I agree with PP. If she begins going to dances now what makes them special as she nears high school? With a 6 yr old there is very little I let interfere with schedule and bedtime, so I most likely would not take her.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I never heard of schools having dances for children that age
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Its not a school function. She is in after school sports which is sponsored by the Optimist Club. They do little league, basketball, football, cheer and soccer. This is to mark end of season for basketball where the kids & parents can come and have an end of season party/dance.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2011