Is there a difference between SSI/SSD???

I was reading a question a couple weeks back and a lady stated that she got SSD. I always thought that they just had SSI, so if this is true what is the difference???

Thought i would ask here since so many of you know a lot about the government and stuff.

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 9:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• SSI is for people who never paid into the system. The max a person can get is like $700 or so a month. It is what kids are often put on. SSD is disability paid based on the amount a person has paid into the system.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:37 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• just confused on why people are so against ssi and ssd, if these people are entitled to it.

They are not entitled to the SSI, they didn't even pay into the system. And there are plenty of people they CAN work they choose not to because they feel they are ENTITLED to a free check. It is not the taxpayers job to be sure that they have a roof over their head, it is their families.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I don't think kids should be eligible for SSI, they are not eligible to work anyway and they should be supported by their parents...NOT the taxpayer.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:18 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• mrssundin. You asked the question. We just answered it. Many people on SSI have been on since they were kids. They often live in gov housing and have all the other benefits of the PA system.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:28 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The country being broke has EVERYTHING to do with what is paid out. Part of the reason the country is broke is because we have long been paying for things we could not afford. People should be thankful there is SSI to collect when they have never contributed a penny. There are countries all over the world with no safety net.

OP, how do you think people survived for thousands of years without the very recent benefits of SSI and SSD? Did they just roll over and die in the street or did they find a way....some job they could do...very few people are truly completely disabled..maybe family stepped in and helped. How did they manage?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• And jewjewbee they wont cut ssi/ssd or food stamps or welfare or any of that, want to know why??? Cause if people are using these programs it is easier to control them. your not going to go against the hand that feeds you, social programs like these keep people in check and keep them in line that is the governments plan for these programs not to help them.
    --
    yet this is the program you are trying so hard to get on for your medical condition
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:10 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Newsflash
    The Country Is Broke.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:53 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• you better get your paperwork completed and approved soon, because SSD for children and young adults is on the table as one of the first things the GOP will re-evaluate with tighter screws for deficit reduction.
    your anger will not affect the fact that your country is BROKE
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:18 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Oh good grief! I have had plenty of problems in my life. NOTHING was handed to me and I am only ENTITLED to what I can earn/accomplish with my own 2 hands. There are very very few people that actually CANNOT work and way to many collecting money and sitting on their cans when they could be doing something.

The man I purchased my dry cleaners from had a prosthetic leg and speech problems...yet he worked 6 days a week and didn't depend on the taxpayer. I have a lady that works for me that has to be on oxygen 24/7. She would work overtime if I could afford it. So don't give me the boo hoo sob stories.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2011