How do you facebook about your kids?

I've always been apprehensive to facebook about my sd. I have my security settings to friends only for most things but I don't know if any of my friends leave their pages up for strangers to see or hackers. My fear is that someone will learn my routine and/or use things I post as a way to make sd think I know them. "your step mom told me about your trip to the zoo when you saw the baby elephant. she told me to tell you that it was ok to come with me." One bit of personal info is all she may need to feel comfortable. So I use a nick name for sd that I only use on facebook and don't call her at any other time. She doesn't even know what it is or that I use a nick name.

Do you feel there is a need to guard and protect your children on facebook? do you post pics of your kids? do you call them by name? why/why not?

pioneergirl10

Asked by pioneergirl10 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I post about my kids. I post photos. I have all my settings set to private where only my friends or family can see. I use FB to communicate and share my life with my family members who live far away. I have family from CA to VA and I am in NC. It makes it easy for us to keep in touch. The also post pics of their kids for me to see.
    As far as a step child I probably would be more leery simply because you could run into other issues. Does the mom like you have those pics up? Does the step child mind? You know things like that. I know my ex's now soon to be ex would post pics of my son and my son complained to me because he said some of them were "humiliating". I had to say something and look like the bad guy.

Answer by gemgem at 9:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I am super protective on FB with my son. For starters, my husband and I adopted our son so privacy is an issue. But I have a rule. I only post the cute things and never complain about him. His pictures are limited. I have some pictures of him up to two years of age. Only a few. He is four currently. But I don't have current ones. I set everything to private. All pictures have nothing to identify where they were taken. I don't set a location. We have an open adoption but I don't post anything about his history. I don't allow anyone to post anything negative about adoption. I also know if I post a picture the official site can use it for whatever they want to. Which is why only limited and older pictures go on.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:42 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I am very careful. I have few pics up. I might post cute things one has said or done. I may mention if one of the kids is not feeling well. I do not post about our routines and such. I have had issues in the past with real life stalkers so I am cautious.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:47 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i don't use my child's name in photos. and i ask my friends not to as well. and if my friends have photos of my daughter they are required to tag me to them. nothing's creepier than a person you don't know going up to you and saying "(child's name here) is so adorable".

also the people i add are people i've actually physically met before. i don't add strangers. and even some of the people i meet are on a certain privacy list.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 9:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• ah heck.. most of my profile pics on FB are of my ds!! if i didn't post statuses of what he says daily, my FBfriends would think i got rid of him!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I wanted to add that if you are on my fb I know you. I add no strangers.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:50 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I post about my kids all the time. Most of my friends are actually family members, I have very few friends on there and I only add friends I trust. I have my settings very private and I do not allow anyone to post pictures of my kids unless they have private profiles. If I'm not sure, I ask them to remove my pictures.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 9:55 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• well, considering whoever sees my status or my photos are my friends, who have personally met my children, of course i talk about them/post pics of them. why else would i have joined a social networking site? the point of it is to connect with your friends and be social. my kids are a huge part of my life. of course they are all over my facebook. this is why they invented a privacy setting.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I do not post anything about or any pictures of my children on facebook or any other internet website for that fact
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I don't worry about it at all. I doubt anyone is going to put that much effort into tracking us down. I post about them all the time and have tons of pictures up. It's how I keep in touch with family that live across the country. Almost everyone on my facebook are people I know in real life or are related to me somehow. If someone really wanted to nab my kids they could just follow us home from the store and wait until they go outside to play. And, no, I don't worry about that happening either.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2011