where do babies come from

recently my 10 yr old son has asked me a question about sex.... what is everyones thought on how to explain sex without getting too detailed... i want to be honest with him but not too gory... my answer to him was that was a conversation that i was not ready to have with him yet until i figured out how to explain it

motheroftwocamp

Asked by motheroftwocamp at 10:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would be honest with him. Completely and utterly honest because if you don't tell him, he's going to get educated by his peers (truth or not). You could even by a children's book on reproduction to help you. But, you need to talk about Penises, vaginas and penetration because he's 10! And, unlike the 2nd poster, I wouldn't say that you go to the hospital and come out 3 days later, LOL. Most women in the world have their babies at home with midwives. :)
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 11:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I found that the more honest you can be, the better. Yeah, they think it's gross and all, but they will have the truth and be satisfied.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• when a mommy and daddy love each other they have a way of creating a baby kinda like ducks they have eggs ad the daddies fertlize them. the there is a baby in mommies bellys for 9 months. when she is ready and the baby is too they go to the doc....the doc has a way to help the ay out of mommies. after 3 days they come home...hope this kinda helps...

don't forget to thank him for coming to you
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• my 3 year old niece would say babies "come out your vagina", i've never aske her how they are made, lol
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 11:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Be honest with him and answer his questions. Of course make it a conversation for ten year olds. We had to have the where do babies come from question with our 11 year old when he was 7 because he was going to be in the delivery room when we had our now 3 year old. SO he saw where babies came from and he cut his baby brothers cord. He handled it quite well. Anyways, kids will surprise you with the understanding of things. If they ask a question is because they want to learn or they heard something from school...LOL, Just be honest and truthful and don't blow it off. There are some questions I handle when it comes to my sons and then there are others where dad is the best person to go to. Let me tell you the questions don't get easier either. Wait till he asks what is erectile dysfunction because of a dumb comercial on TV{that happened to me} That was a dad time for us.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 4:44 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I would say tell him a little but not too much. Def. say something tho!! kids are learning about sex sooo early these days and if you dont tell them friends will!!

my mom never had "the talk" with me... i found out about sex and babies from my friends when i was 13
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I'm willing to bet he already knows more than you think. Find out what he has heard from friends and go from there. Clarify, add to it, give him the correct info.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:32 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• If he is old enough to ask he is old enough to hear the answers. Be honest...use correct terms for body parts and tell him that is how God or nature...which ever you believe intended for the human race to go on. Try to keep it scientific and like you said not gory. Better he hear it from you than on the playground!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I know back when i was going to school they had class about that Sex and all that stuff i think i was 13 i belive and now i am 27 and got a child my own But I would tell my child before they heard it from his friends....... In school Because they can add a little bit more then what they are really talking about in School or whatever they hear it at.....................
    Anonymous

• Be honest. I'd never let a child get to the age of 10 without telling them. He is likely to already know many things(or rumors) from other kids by now.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2008