Swing Set Opinions

Hello all :)

my DH and I are looking into getting a swing set for my son. We wanted to get one last year but were never able to decide on one we just loved (that didn't cost a ton!!), but this year we decided we are going to and we know he's ready for one of his own. We want wood because it's more durable and lasts longer, but we also know that will drive up the price. My DH is very handy (praise the LORD!) and has helped his brother put together the swing set for my nephews and niece, so I have full confidence that they could do it and do it right!

So my question is, what is your experience with this? Did you buy yours pre-assembled or in the DIY kits that just come with the hardware and accessories but you had to go buy the wood? And where did you get yours? What are your likes and dislikes after having set it up? Any other advice that may be pertinent would be appreciated!!

Thanks for your feedback and be blessed!!

lovemyboys8608

Asked by lovemyboys8608 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• if he is handy buy unassembled and have him put it together
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i dont have one, but when we move into a house in april with a backyard i am considering buying one. so i will bump you and check your answers :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• We had a wood one at my moms. It was sorta pre assembled. It had the basic stuff and we had to put it together. From there they had other stuff you could add on. We got a couple of add ons for it like a tire swing (best I can explain). It was alright, but for some reason we always ended up with bees trying to nest on it. So every year we had to go out there at the beginning of spring and get rid of the hive they were building. Eventually it just wore out and seemed like it was rotting. By this time the kids were bigger and my little kids were too little for it. We replaced it with a metal one.

Answer by gemgem at 10:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• idk what to tell you...we opted for a metal one, due to the fact we would probably be moving it in a year, and thought it'd be easier to reassemble. (it was.) however, after having it for only a year, it was rusting and the paint had chipped off very badly. (toysRus)

i'm curious about your responses, too.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• We bought a Rainbow Play system and they set it up.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• We bought the wooden kind that has all the wood included.....Wal-Mart and Sams usually has them. It took assembly, but was cheaper than purchasing the pieces and wood separately.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My sister and her husband bought a Rainbow set when my niece was 6 and her brother was 4. That same niece was just accepted at Humbolt State for the fall. The play set is still in her yard and is still gorgeous. Her littlest and her friends still play 'fort' with it. Every spring they just checked all the bolts to be sure everything was tight and they hit it with a coat of polyurethane..it took less than one day with 2 adults. They paid a fortune fore it but it is also 12 years old now.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2011