Half Days aggravate me

Am I the only one who gets aggravated by half days? I dont mind having the kids home early, that part is fine. But at our school I have to drop dd off by 7:30 so she can have breakfast with her class (they have a grant for kinder to do that as a class and she loves it). Then they get out at 11:20. I swear it feels like I just dropped her off and then have to turn around and go back for her lol. I get basically nothing done around the house, cant really go anywhere to shop or see my friends because by the time I get somewhere I have to turn around and go back to the school.
My high schooler gets out at 11:30 which again is kinda dumb because theres no way to get from the elementary to the high school on time in 10 minutes. I dont know who makes up these conflicting schedules.

Asked by gemgem at 10:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• yea, they aggravate me too. luckily my oldest is only in pre-k which i pay for so on half days i dont even bother taking her. i also have to drag my 2 and 1 year old along and i never know what will be going on with them around 11, could be naptime, lunchtime, whatever so it just makes the whole thing so inconvenient. when she starts kindergarten though of course i will have no choice and have to suck it up. errr!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i LOVED half days as a kid. i don't think my mom ever minded them because this was back when it was still somewhat "safe" for me to walk home from school at a young age.

and in high school my mom was a pre-k teacher at my school. so we go off at the same time.

i think if my daughter had a day off i'd just run a few errands near by or whatever and come back.

but i DO understand your point. that has to be annoying. haha!
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 10:18 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My kindergartener goes from 8:30-11:20 monday through friday, and it seems like a joke to me... NOT EVEN 3 HOURS??? Thank God he's really smart and we worked with him aboutmost stuff... includingbasic math, reading phonics, and so forth

I don't have the conflict of the high school, do carpool with that, so I get 2 days off!!! And they are out by 2:50... Some days it feeels like I live in my van, thankfully I carry books to read and TV to watch in there... down side it the front one will not play while driving so I can't even look while at a rd light without popping it into park
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I dont think it would be so bad if I could get from one school to the other on time. As it is my high schooler has high functioning Autism so a schedule is important to him. He is good for half days but expects me to be in line waiting on time. Theres no way though unless I can invent a machine to put me in two places at one time or a way to fly from one school to the next. So part of it is I am going to get b*tched at by my son lol. And not like in a bad way but questioned thoroughly as to why I didnt get her late lol.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My Son isn't in school yet, but I know I'll LOVE half days! More time with my Little Man. =]
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• as far as i know when my son starts prek3, it will be from 7:30 to 2:30. they do nap or quiet time also.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My kids have a half day EVERY Wednesday. I hate them because then the kids are home most of the day and drive me nuts, making messes and fighting with each other (wasn't so bad when the weather was nice and they'd spend the day playing with their friends outside). But otherwise they don't bother me. The kids take the bus so there is no driving for me. They leave for the bus at 8am and get home at 1pm instead of 4pm.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2011