PLEASE I need Ideas for games and such for a Birthday party

Didn't say I hated pin the tail on the donkey it is just something we have done in the past and wanted some different ideas.

I need some ideas for some fun games and such for a birthday party in April What are some game ideas for a Birthday Party for a boy that is turning 4? Besides Pin the Tail on the Donkey or any pin the anything on anything I hate those games and am not buying anything like that. What would be some good prizes to give also?

The theme is going to be Thomas the Train; depends on the weather if it is muddy or cold then it will be inside and more then likely it will be inside anyhow. There will be 5 guests and the birthday boy. 

Thanks everyone

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I love frogdawg's ideas! Expanding on the coal in the train car idea: have the kids be the trains by getting on their hands and knees, put a box full of "coal" on their back and let them race with it...first one to the finish line without spilling wins. Using balloons for coal might be fun because the balloons would fly out if they go too fast. You could also give them shovels and have them fill cars/boxes with coal/balloons without using hands.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:42 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Loading coal into a train car? So they can each have a cardboard box decorated minimally to be a train car that can carry "coal." Then they can have teams of two or three and race to load the coal into the car. Follow the conductor? One kid is picked as a conductor and gets to dress with the train cap and overalls (party city and other party supply stores will usually have them). All the kids line up and do what the conductor does. When you blow the train whistle a new kid is the conductor.  Before cake you can stamp each ticket as they sit in their seats and the birthday boy can be the conductor and do the stamping.  You can play a version of telephone: A child whispers in the person sitting next to him (kids sitting in a circle): "I'm going on a train trip and I'm taking...." then each child spreads the word.  Is it the same thing when it gets back around?  Or each kid can add something

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• each time. "I'm going on a train ride and bringing, a cat, a purse, an old hat..." each child to remember what was brought before adding their own item. Give prizes to all kids for trying to remember. A conga line but all the kids are trains and you play music they are dancing trains. When the music stops they freeze in line. Red light green light at the station. Each child can wear a small card board box with ropes for straps. They line up. Red light they stop and green light they go. Who is the first train to get to the station? You can come up with tons of stuff. I just pulled these off the top of my head right now. Given time I could have more games than I could play at the party. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:34 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• how about a pinata? i had one of those when my oldest turned 3 and the kids loved it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Maybe try googling it... but honestly, I think trying to organize a handful of kids his age might be a difficult task.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/games.html  I know you said you hate pin the tail on the donkey, but I would still do that. It is for the kids, and most love it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• thanks everyone keep the suggestions coming please
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Feb. 27, 2011