Marriage

As a believer what does marriage mean to you ? As a non-believer what does marriage mean to you?

ptomom678

Asked by ptomom678 at 10:33 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• first off i am a believer. CHRISTIAN...i am married and believe in marriage. i can honestly say, for a while i didnt have God in my life and was "wild and permiscuous" now that ii am married with 3 kids (we had our oldest before we were married) i have God back in my life. MARRIAGE IS WONDERFUL!!!

I HOPE THIS WAS THE ANSWER U WERE LOOKING FOR
    VDietrich

Answer by VDietrich at 10:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• believer of what?

anywho, i beleive its sacred between man and woman.

God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve, if that were the case he would not have destroyed sodom and gomorrah.

Im all for human rights etc.. but dont callit marriage call it something else.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I am referring to those who believe in God and those who do not.

ptomom678

Comment by ptomom678 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i believe in God. I have a very happy marriage. One thing i do NOT believe in in divorce unless he would cheat, but i dont think i will have that problem
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 10:53 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• marriage is a holy covenant between a man and woman before God.
    6 “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’[a] 7 ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,[b] 8 and the two will become one flesh.’[c] So they are no longer two, but one flesh. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” Mark chapter 10

this is what marriage is to me.
    fordeeperroots

Answer by fordeeperroots at 11:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm a believer. I believe we must recognize that marriage means different things to different people. For some its a legal issue, others its cultural, some its religious. For me personally it is my vow before God that I will be committed to this man for the rest of my life. It is the celebration of our love for one another in wanting to be with only each other. But I don't believe that all marriage has to be the same as my own. I care more that a marriage is healthy (loving, supportive, etc) than whether or not it is religious, for example, or common law vs. licensed. Each marriage is what the individual couple makes of it personally, what each pair puts into it and sees it as. I can't put my own definition on someone else's relationship - that is theirs alone to define. Whether that includes God or not, whether its hetero or homosexual in nature, all I care is that people are happy and loved...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Hubby and I are Atheist- we have been together 19 yrs and married for 15. We take it seriously- obviously!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Marriage is a legal commitment you make to another person, it has been around long before Christianity and their God and will remain long after. In pagan rituals it is known as hand-fasting. The only marriage you have a say in is your own.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• it has been around long before Christianity and their God and will

How can you give a timeline the existence of the Christian God? Most believe there is not beginning or end. Your statement is moot and deserves more research. I do respect your comment on your view of marriage though.
    ptomom678

Comment by ptomom678 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Oh I'm sorry, Christians BELIEVE their God has been around from the beginning but since ALL gods are man-made and the Christian god only appeared around 2000BCE and marriage was around long before that in other cultures and religions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2011