A funny online video about California's new "Hands Free" cell phone law.

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-42985#

What's sad is that I've seen people doing many of the things this guy does in this video. I've even seen people studying scripts and reading newspapers while driving down LA's freeways. Go figure.

Californai law also still allows people to text while driving, though teens aren't supposed to use cell phones at all while behind the wheel.

Do you think "Hands Free" laws will lower the accident rates?

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• ROFL that was so funny! You know, while being hands free is safer I don't think it'll make that big of a difference. People can still talk on the phone while they are driving and not get into an accident. The gov't says it's distracting but truth be told it's not. Texting or dialing a phone number while driving is distracting. Talking on the phone isn't. I mean, most people don't use both hands anyway.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 6:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I think talking on the phone is a problem - even when it's hands-free.

I know I don't drive as well when I have a passenger. I'm paying attention to the conversation when I should be paying attention to the road. At least a passenger can also help watch the road. I've had passengers spot turns I need to take, lights that are changing and point them out. Usually I'm aware of the issue already, but not always. Passengers also stop talking if things get tricky – the person on the other end of the phone just keeps gabbing away.

I've been in too many close calls where some chat-happy idiot plows through a light while chatting on her phone. Because I was giving my driving my full attention, I was able to spot the idiot's dangerous driving ahead of time I was able to avoid the accident. One came within feet of hitting me and never even noticed. It makes me wonder how many other "I know I'm safe when I drive and talk" people have been in similar near-misse
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I don't think the new law is going to lower accident rates. If the gov't REALLY wanted to lower accident rates, they'd have to make doing ANYTHING while driving illegal.. which definitely won't happen! haha.. Could you imagine a law stating "Do not eat while driving." lmao
    I've seen so many people still driving and talking on their phone w/o a hands-free set. I think it's either because they don't know OR they just don't care (probably the latter) because the fines aren't that bad (compared to other offense fines).
    MAMAtoTW0

Answer by MAMAtoTW0 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2008