Has anyone ever had a tour of a NICU??

what was it like? besides being sad..... I have to make an appt to take a tour

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 10:46 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Why do you have to take a tour? I kinda want to now that you mentioned it.. my baby is so tiny but keeps trying to come.. I want to see where she would be.. so if she does come my heart won't break as badly.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 10:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My mom's construction company built one and she said that she had never seen so many big, tough construction guys cry so much. But other than that I've never been in one.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• it seems dangerous to me to let people take a tour of it. I wouldnt want random people strolling throuh there if my baby was laying in there sick.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 10:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It is such a hard thing, you stay strong. Everything will be ok. I wish you lots of love and prayers.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My son was in the "special care" nursery. It wasn't like the ICU of a TV hospital, but he wasn't in my room with me either. They had the equipment there for ventilation and stuff, and the covered incubators and stuff like that. But, all I remember is that the stuff was pretty discrete when not in use.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My friend's son had to spend some time in the NICU and another friend's daughter was in the NICU for about 2 months. It was a very quiet, peaceful place. Also very HOPEFUL!! And the nurses and doctors were so kind.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:55 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• never had a tour when i was pregnant, but my oldest spent 5 days in there after she was born. her nasal passages were half the size they should have been so she had breathing difficulties. like you said, it was sad, heartbreaking actually. there was a baby next to her inside an incubator type thing that was only a pound. i was in there everyday (i myself spent 5 days in the hospital after she was born for blood pressure problems) and i never once saw the mom. somedays i spent the entire day in the nicu with her. thats not to say she was abandoned, theres no telling where the mom was or what happened to her. but i know human contact is great for preemies and it just made me sad that this preemie didnt have her mom around. anyway, thats all i remember from the nicu, aside from the constant beepings of the machines. i also had to wear a special gown and wash my hands for 30 seconds everytime i went in there.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Totally agree with luvmymedic

I went in one when my nephew was in it, we had to wash ur hands,and only two of us could go in at a time..... I don't see why they would let a 'tour' go through it.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• LuvMyMedic3ID, we have since gone back to that nursery since my kids were born and they really only let you peek in through the "window" in the door if there are any babies in there. I DO remember having to wash my hands FOREVER before I could go hold my baby.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• our daughter to be, is said to have several RARE issues with her brain Agenesis of the Corpus Collosum (missing nerves that connect both hemispheres of the brain together.. and Schienecphaly (brain fluid connecting to outser fluids through a canal that should not be there...... and they should not connect...... (sp) and such to where she may be disabled... even tho they not 100% positive they arent taking chances.. and once she is born weather she healthy or not they are taking her there and testing and MRI's start
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Feb. 25, 2011