Van, Truck, Car or SUV?

What kind of vehicle do you drive and what size family do you have?

Currently, we have my Jeep Liberty and his Nissan Frontier. His Nissan is not really compatible with our family size (3 children, all under 5, all in carseats/boosters still) because it has a tiny backseat and the seats face sideways. My Liberty is getting close to its deathbed too.. it still gets us from A to B but i can tell its not gonna last much longer.

Anyway, he wants to trade in his truck and get a bigger, 4 door truck with a more spacious backseat. I really dont have a problem with that, I know those kind of trucks have a lot of space in the backseat that would fit our children. And then we can get use out of both of our vehicles. However, my dad thinks we should get a van. Ive never wanted to drive a van, but as a mom of 3 i know how convenient they are. When I think of the long-run especially, like extra-curricular activities and if they each want to take a friend with them to the mall or something, and when we go on family vacations together.

What do you find that works best for your family?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I have 5 kids and I never really wanted a van either. I ended up getting one though and loved it. It was so spacious compared to the cars we had. It also had two built in car seats and at the time I bought my van I had 2 in car seats so it worked out great. I didnt have to lug any car seats with me at all and it also made extra room since you know how big reg car seats are. The built in ones took up less room.

My kids are now 6, 10, 17, 18 and 22. My 18 & almost 22 yr old live together so they rarely travel with me. My 17 yr old has a camero he is going to start driving in 3 weeks. My 10 yr old lives with his dad and on weekends is with me. That left me & my 6 yr old and I honestly couldnt justify a van anymore lol. Now I drive a mustang. I love it.

Answer by gemgem at 10:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• suv
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• We have a tahoe for a family of 3, soon to be 4. My husband has to take gear to work a lot, so we need the space.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 10:55 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• we bought a kia sorrento with a 3rd row. we thought it was perfect for our 3 kids, I am so glad we got it bc shortly after we found out we were pregnant with our 4th! that would have sucked if I didnt push for the 3rd row.....now only 1 can bring a friend home, but really I dont think I would want anymore than that hanging around anyways!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 10:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i have a gmc jimmy love it. especially in this weather. four wheel drive i can go anywhere.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I have a Hyundai Accent, which i love the gas it gets but a 2-door car sucks when trying to get my 2 yr old DD in and out of it. Hubby has a Hyundai Elantra. His is a 4-door but a manual, which i do not know how to drive. Once I learn it, we'll be switching cars. haha.

I'd rather have a SUV or van. DH doesn't want a mommy-van so if we ever get another vehicle, it'll be an SUV of some sort unless I can convince him otherwise.
    IrishPennMom

Answer by IrishPennMom at 11:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Family of three. I drive a Honda CR-V. I love it!
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• 3 of us, Prelude. Not practical but great on gas!
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 11:18 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• lol yea i dont think my husband is going to go for a van either. he is totally all about trucks, if anything id have to convince him to get himself an suv. my sil has an elantra and her car is very nice. built in xm radio and everything, great gas mileage. i think as long as my kids are in carseats though a car would be such a pain, since id have to bend down to put them in. i really want a car, im tired of driving so high up all the time LOL. but ill have to wait many years before that!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Commuter car. boring
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2011