Slow cooker pot roast?

hey all ! i want to make a pot roast in my slow cooker but have never done this before ?? any suggestions

zperez0809

Asked by zperez0809 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Food & Drink

• We love this one in our crock pot.. A large roast big enough for the five of us.. Not sure of the weight.. A 1/2 cup water, one large onion cut up, about 5 large potatoes cut in chunks, salt and pepper , a small jar of A1 and about 6 drops of worchesizer sauce (sp).. Cover with the lid and let cook on high for about 6-8 hours until the meat is tender and the potatoes are fork tender...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:00 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• http://allrecipes.com/

Love this website.  I used Lipton Onion Soup mix to make mine.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:56 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Brown the pot roast then put it in slow cooker...(if you are going to add carrots, put them in first and put the pot roast on top of them)...add Coca Cola (ONLY use Coca Cola Classic)....to cover or nearly cover....put in whatever other veggies you want, cover and cook. (make sure there is enough liquid (Coca Cola) to cook veggies, it doesn't have to cover them but should be close.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• oh, you will love the results. the pot roast will be extremely tender, juicy and fall apart.

what i do is put it in the crockpot on low, add cut up potatoes & carrots, diced celery & onion. then i add a little bit of either veggie or beef broth, some seasonings (usually salt, pepper, paprika & garlic powder) and sometimes a can of diced tomatoes. mmm! its sooo good.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:59 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Well, my slow cooker cookes things too hot, so i now make pot roast in the oven. But, it's the same if you have a good slow cooker.

Throw the roast in, you can add carrotts, potatoes, onion. I like to throw 1/4 c Italian or greek dressing in & then fill the rest up with water. Set it on low & let it go at east 5-6 hours (depending on how big it is).

Some people put a packet of onion soup in there, but we don't like how that tastes.

In the oven, i put the roast in a large pot with a tight fitting lid, put the same stuff in there, set the oven to 200 & let it sit all day long until ready to eat. You can even leave the house, 200 degrees is not hot enough to burn anything.

Some say to brown the meat on all sides before roasting, because it helps keep the moisture in. They actually did a study on this, it's not true. You don't have to brown the meat to keep it moist, I do not & my pot roasts come out perfect.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:00 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I got this recipe from my SIL who I *think* got it from allrecipes.com:

Ingredients

* 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
    * 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
    * 1 1/4 cups water
    * 5 1/2 pounds pot roast

Directions

1. In a slow cooker, mix cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix and water. Place pot roast in slow cooker and coat with soup mixture.
    2. Cook on High setting for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low setting for 8 to 9 hours.

~*~ Makes a WONDERFULLY delicious pot roast that you can cut by looking at it. I add the veggies at the beginning, a lot of people will add them about half way through, or for the last couple of hours.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Use a combo of these posts. They are all great methods. Browning the meat is great!!
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Just don't overcook the meat! Even in a slow cooker, meat can become tough. If you have a "low" setting, use it for the last hour or so. Nothing more than 5 hours if you're on high!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• just put a roast i usually put it in frozen but it doesnt matter. cut up potatoes and carrots and 1 pkg of lipton onion soup mix and water to cover place lid on it and let it cook on high all day. YUMMMM do it all the time one of our fav. meals.
    brooklyndm

Answer by brooklyndm at 4:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011