What can I tell the day care to do in order to help her stop bitting other kids?

My daughter is 17 months and just recently started bitting other kids in her daycare. I don't know what to tell them to do, because putting her in time out isn't working. They are about to kick her out of daycare and I know that I won't be able to work or finish my schooling so that I can provide her the things that she needs and wants as she gets older. She bit me once and I put her in time out and she hasn't bitten me sense. Can anyone help me please. I have run out of options.

blueeyedmama241

Asked by blueeyedmama241 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I hate to say it but when my kids did it i bit them back and they never did it again. I never bit them hard like they would bit but it was enough to get the point across that it hurts. I ran a day care for years way back when and I only had about 2 kids I had this problem with. I told the parents about it and they agreed that the biting back would let them know how the other child feels. She is only 17 months and they should not kick her our of day care for this reason. I never would of kicked any of my day care kids out for this. Do they have a playpen or something to keep her in when she bites and maybe she will realize everytime she bites she gets put in the playpen. I hope this helps.

dia4

Answer by dia4 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Most centers are only able to do re-directing. The best you can hope for is that another kid bites her back hard enough to hurt her. (I know this sounds awful but this happened to my son who was biting also....has not bit since lol) Just explain it to her in baby words. Tell her "you can only bite food." Its hard at her age. She doesnt understand much and probably bites when she gets over-excited...at least that is when my son did it. If your daughter likes being on her own and not with adults I suggest "pocket pal" which I did when I worked in child care. Some kids don't want to walk around holding their teachers hand. (I did it for one minute times thier age-so maybe a minute and a half for her)
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 11:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• You can clip a chew toy or binkie or something that she can bite on to her shirt. Everytime she bites someone, tell her to bite the toy. Also, it's important NOT to react to the biting, but rather react to the person being bit...example: "are you okay Bobby? Did that hurt?" This way, she doen't receive ANY attention for the biting. Good luck!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 11:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My son had the same problem at that age, he always bit a particular child though, the class bully that thought he was the boss of the joint. They would send him home on days he bit. The mom made them do this b/c she started complaining. Anyway, does she talk at all. If she does start talking to about saying I am mad, sad etc. If she cant do it anyway. This is her way of realising stress, so it's just about her finding another outlet and teaching her to voice her frustrations. I would also talk to the daycare about what happened exactly before she bit, every time. This will help you find the trigger. When you find the trigger talk to the daycare about noticing it before she gets to the point of biting. This what we did with my son. He would start to get mad at the boy for not sharing or something else and they would find something else for him to do.

perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 11:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• At the day care i worked at, we were also very strict but there are very few things you can do that the state says is ok. Like if kids got extremely out of hand and they wouldn't stay in time out, you could remove them, call a parent, or restrain them if they were hurting themself. And with the biting situation we could put them in time or as long as we had parents permission we could put a food additive in their mouth. It's against the law to use actual food as a punishment but not a food additive, and ofcourse nothing thay could hurt or burn them. And they were never made to eat or drink it, just taste it. They recommended vinegar, lemon juice, or pepper. You would just dip your finger or paper towel in it, enough to get the taste and then put it on they're tongue for a quick second. I didn't like doing that, but that's what was recommended to us as a daycare. And that was also a few years ago.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 11:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• my daughter started bighting me and one day we were playing around and i "bite" her to tickle her you know with my mouth and told her i was going to bite her. Then i did it to her finger, bit it softly and then she bit my finger softly like a nibble and she hasn't bit me since. thank god cause that will spring a reaction for sure.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• WELL WHEN MY DAUGHTER DID THAT I WOULD USE HOT SAUCE PUT A DAB OF IT ON HER TOUNGE  AND TELL HER NO BITE THEN LET HER DRINK MILK I ONLY HAD TO DO THAT 3 X AND SHE NEVER DID IT AGAIN IF I THOUGHT SHE MIGHT TRY I WOULD SAY DO YOU WANT HOT SAUCE !  I DON'T KNOW IF THEY WILL  DO IT BUT YOU CAN ASK OR HAVE THEM PUT HER IN A CRIB FOR TIME OUT !!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:35 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Get a different day care. At that age, he most likely doesn't understand what he is doing. He's probably teething and just biting b/c it feels good. We had a child where I worked that actually bit himself if no one else was around. He didn't get kicked out. Eventually he out grow it. NOw, if you child were 3 and able to understand better, then that would be different. I like the other tips too. Like giving him something else to chew on. If teething is the culprite, then that may help alot! Or keep him on teeting tabs or something during the day to help with the pain. If tha'ts not the reason, you have to get to the source and responding to the child that got bit intead of the biting is a great idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2008