Question for moms who work outside the home-

When do you do your errands and cleaning the house? I just went back to full time work this week and by the time I get home, cook dinner, help with son's homework, get him ready for bed, do some laundry, clean up from dinner and straighten the house- I'm exhausted! From your experience is it better to clean on the weekends or a little each night? Any suggestions / advice on helping me transition from part time work to full time work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• I run errands on my lunch break and most house cleaning is done on the weekends.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 11:09 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Depends what works for you. I'd try both ways and see.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:10 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I try to grocery shop on the weekends and pick up a little as I go. I think it is easiest to do the laundry in the evenings so it doesnt pile up. When you work you have to let some things slide. I try to make a menu and I leave a grocery list going on the counter so I only have to go to the store once a week. When i buy ground beef I brown alot at one time and bag it and freeze it in 1 lb amounts. Then when I need spaghetti or tacos I can just heat it and season it. I may make 2 dinners at once so I only have to clean the kitchen one night.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I do a little each day and most of my laundry is done in one day so that I don't have to do so much all week long.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I try to do a little something every day. One day the vacuuming, another day the bathrooms, another day the laundry. I am fortunate to have a husband who helps with the day-to-day picking up, which is SO helpful! Larger errands like grocery shopping are reserved for Saturday mornings. How old is your son? Since he is school age, there is no reason he can't help out around the house also.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I do errands on lunch break also, I do grocery shopping usually on weekends, try to get it done as early int he day as possible. As for cleaning, I do both. I go in spurts where I do one thing a night then enjoy my weekends and other times I clean on the weekends. It really depends on what were doing during the weekend.

When I am on the nightly spurt I print out a calendar and put it on the fridge.

One piece of advice is try not to do it all, get your family to help or if they aren't helpful :) then try not to stess if you don't get it all done, its ok. Nothing bad every happened if sheets didnt' get change or vacuumed every day or something, make sure to get a little bit of time for yourself or you'll burn out very fast.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 11:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Girl, as a former full time working mother to two, I always left Saturday mornings for the cleaning and chores, Saturday afternoon for the errands and Sunday was our stay at home or visit relatives day. This was our life for about 12 years. Evenings was our homework, dinner, bath, child events, etc... The only cleaning I did was a very general pick up of toys and stuff after the kiddos went to bed. It works, but you have to be on a set schedule to get it all done. I laugh now because my daughter is doing the same thing to her kids now... However, hers is so strict that if it sways, she gets all bent out of shape. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• DH and I tag team a lot of stuff. He usually gets home before I do, so he gets DD's supper started and a bath if I'm running late. After she goes down at 8, one of us will run to the grocery store or other errands. We save laundry for the weekend, or just run one load.

We clean up the house, but leave the major housecleaning stuff to a maid service.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I work TWO jobs. I do what really matters when it needs to be done. So dishes daily. Laundry every couple of days. Bathrooms and grocery shopping once a week. Everything else? Meh. When we get to it. We will never make House Beautiful, but we don't care.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I do most of my errands after work. During work, I can go to the post office, get something notarized, pick up groceries from the commissary, etc. I do light cleaning during the week and major cleaning on weekends. My daughter folds the laundry, but things like cleaning out the toilets and tubs can wait for the weekend.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2011