Is joining the National Guard with 2 small kids a smart idea?

My hubby wants to join the guard to help him further his career and go back to school. We have a 3 year old and a 7 week old. i really don't want him to because it is a huge commitment, and a long time away from home. We have alot to do to keep our marriage alive and i'm not sure if this would help or hurt either. He really wants me to make a decision but I am soo lost.

batsonsgirl

Asked by batsonsgirl at 11:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Money & Work

• My husband is in the Guard.....tons of possibilities and different options. Does he know what branch he is thinking of? Credits do transfer. But it is at least 4 year commitment, beginning with 16 weeks of basic training then additional AIT training...and that is time away from home and family. And yes, at some point he will be going over seas somewhere for a period of time. My husband and I are in Alabama and he is "active duty" right now while doing flight school, but whent that is done, he is still in the Pennsylvania National Guard. I don't want to say too aweful much on here, so if you want to msg me personally with questions or concerns, feel free. I will be honest about the pros and cons to help you guys evaluate your own personal decisions.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Is he interested in being in Iraq/Afghanistan for 6 months to a year? Because that's a good possibility if he joins. My husband just got out of the military. You can make it work, but it's no longer just you and your husband being married...you are tied to the military.
    lebrbria

Answer by lebrbria at 11:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• no i don't think that he realizes the chances of going. he is told that it's not likely....but right now.. that is too hard to determine. i think that chances are high.
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 11:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Hi, I agree with the others, getting deployed is highly likely. This is a choice both of you should make together. I sent you a message of our experience.
    usanamama

Answer by usanamama at 6:12 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My husband and I are both in the military and I love it. We do spend some time away, but it is worth it. With the economy the way it is right now I am thankful that we have such a secure job and excellent benefits for our children!!! I think I was away from home more when I worked as a Project Manager for a company where I traveled 80 percent of the time. Just make sure it is a right fit for the both of you, but being in the military isn't necessary all deployments. My husband and I were both deployed for 6 months and that is it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Nov. 20, 2008