Tired of being criticized over this..

Ever since DD was 8 months old she started sleeping through the night every night...around 11 months old she got into a sleep schedule of going to bed at 7pm and waking up at 7-8am...Well She is now 26 months old and still goes to bed at 7pm for it..so I get weird remarks from friends and they criticize me about it and act like im a bad mom because I try to keep her on her schedule and say things like "well if she didnt go to bed so early"...But I have tried numerous times to move her bedtime to even an hour later and she cant ever make it..She will cry and get upset and try to climb upstairs and says "night, night" because shes tired and wants to go to bed..and if were at someones house or something she will cry "bye bye" because she wants to go home and go to sleep. I see nothing wrong with keeping her on a schedule, she obviously enjoys the predictability and I don't feel I should take that away from her…These people leave their kids up till midnight so they can socialize and they all just look so exhausted..Ive tried to let DD stay and play with the kids but she cries to leave because she's tired. So am I really a bad mother for her bed time being at 7pm? Is it really that early? If so how do I change it if she wont respond to the change?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, not at all. My daughter's bedtime is 7pm too! When we're out she never wants to go to bed and I don't rush home but when we're home, she's in bed anywhere between 7-8. Depends on how long she napped for. A schedule is not a bad thing. Ignore them. As long as your child is happy and healthy, thats what matters.
    IrishPennMom

Answer by IrishPennMom at 11:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My kids are on a schedule of 8pm...keep your schedule and hers. Good Job for sticking to your guns.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• wow i cant believe people give you shit over something like this. 7pm is a great bedtime for a child that age. my middle daughter is also 26 months and since i also have a 4 year old, i let her stay up til 8 on weekends and that is staying up for her. normally her bedtime is 7:30. i have a 13 month old also and both of them go to bed at the same time, however, sometimes the youngest cannot make it past 7 either. going to bed this early is the norm for children this age. dont let people tell you its wrong, its actually right and its what works for both of you, and more importantly for her. good job mommy!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• first of all my 3.5 yr old still goes to bed at 7 and wakes up btwn 6-7 am ... dont let anybody criticize you for what time your child goes to bed,... my friends seem to love that my kids go to bed so early... u set the routine for ur child not ur friends and if u keep her up for their enjoyment or whatever youre the one who has to deal with a cranky child not them so tell them to shove it... and you are not a bad mother youre doing whats right for YOUR child.. and IMHO i think your friends are bad parents for keeping their children up til midnight so they can socialize
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Your not a bad mother, I know many moms who put their kids down at 7pm.... mine on the other hand is a nightowl & no mattter how much I try to move her bedtime up she wont do it! My daughter falls asleep at about 10pm! Dont let anyone tell you your being a bad mom over that though geesh!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• No in my opinion i think you're a smart Mother for keeping her on schedule because some parents dont even care to start their kid on schedule they could care less but i think that,that's pretty cool she still on that type of schedule i wish my son slept through the nite. He's 16 mos and still dont sleep through the night i wonder if he ever will Lol i mean he sleeps in his own crib and everything but he whines throughout the night just for Me or my husband to get up and pat his back or something,i guess to feel safe and comforted still..But, anyway you seem like a great caring Mom who knows what she's doing and is doing what's best for your child so forget the haters and keep doing what you do..Juz brush the negativity off
    LemonDrop87

Answer by LemonDrop87 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Keeping to a schedule is GOOD for a child! The people doing the criticizing are nuts! Ignore them, Mama! They are probably jealous that you've got it handled :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:31 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You're doing FINE. Anyone who tells you otherwise? Cross 'em off your social calendar. They are NOT friends.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:32 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Don't change the schedule to meet with theirs needs because of socializing. The children will have problems later on when they begin school. Do what's best for your daughter and don't pay attention to others. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:35 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My LO has set her own schedule since she was about 4 mos old. It was 11-11 and she slowly backed it up to 7-7 or 8. This works for her and us. We went away for a weekend last summer and our friends gave us crap b/c my DD has such a regimented schedule that has been determined by her. She needs to eat at a specific time for lunch and dinner and go to bed by a specific time or she is very difficult to handle. Don't let people tell you how to parent your chi who is obviously thriving on the schedule she is on. Your doing a great job.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2011