I thought the Tea Party wasn't the GOP?

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul said he doesn’t think the Tea Party will ditch the GOP and become a third party, reports the Lexington Herald-Leader.

In an interview published Thursday, Paul said the Tea Party movement has broadened conservative politics.

“Right now it is a great advantage to us in the Republican Party because it has grown the Republican Party,” Paul said.

But when asked whether he foresees the Tea Party movement transforming into a third, viable political party, Paul answered, “I don’t think so.”

Paul said the movement will exist “as long as government continues with excessive spending.” In his new book, “The Tea Party Goes to Washington,” Paul traces big spending back to Republican former president George W. Bush.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Any self-described conservative who ‘misses’ the last president and his version of the Republican Party should probably quit subscribing to that label,” Paul wrote. “If judgment is based on spending and the budget, then Bill Clinton should be considered preferable to Bush, given that he spent less money than his successor.”

Paul is against President Barack Obama’s “big government agenda,” but disagrees with the notion that Tea Party members oppose the president for his race.

“The Tea Party doesn’t see politics in black and white,” Paul wrote, “but black and red — even as its critics continue to see racism when it simply does not exist.”

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• sweet-a-kins

• Nothing in that article implies people who belong to Tea Party organizations are the GOP. Just that the many organizations are unlikely to merge into a political party.

SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:32 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• thats's exactly what it said...They are NOT independent of the GOP and will not leave them
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Wait a sec. In the first line Rand Paul says he doesn't think the TEA Party will ditch the GOP.

The TEA Party folks I've dealt with are equally angry at the GOP, and say they are NOT Democrats or Republicans.

Either Mr. Paul is mistaken or the TEA Party folks are.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:35 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Well, that clears things up quite a bit. Not that I didn't know this already. Thanks for the information sweet-a-kins
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing I guess. Really, the Tea Party is the GOP just with stronger convictions.
    So Rand Paul thinks the so called Tea Party won't put out their own candidate. I get it, and why should they
    if they can get enough of the GOP to tale on the attitudes of most of the American people. Fiscally and Socially conservative.
    I've said before there really is no Tea Party politically. It's all a name and an attitude. There are hundreds of groups with this conservative back to the constitution attitude. A few use the name but most don't. I think Michele Bachman is the most prominent
    politician to use it for her caucus but it still refers to the people with a certain attitude towards government.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• the Tea Party is the GOP just with stronger convictions

exactly, they always said they WEREN'T the GOP....

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• . Fiscally and Socially conservative

The tea party is TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY,,,when did SOCIAL ISSUES become a part of theur agenda? I was told time and time again it had NOTHING to do with that??

sweet-a-kins

• attitudes of most of the American people. Fiscally and Socially conservative.

LOL- SOCIAL conservatives?????? A social conservative will never win the Presidency in this country-no matter how much YOU wish it to be so. I almost choked on by morning cuppa-

I agree with GD-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2011