• In the Spotlight:

5 month old baby boy question

i have boy/girl twins that are 4 months old and a 4 year old son. well my 4 year old goes to school. anyways i babysit my friends 5 month old little boy and i need to know ways to get him to sleep. he gets fussy and cries when he is tired and sometimes he wont go to sleep and sometimes if he does its only for about 15 mins and hes up again and fussy. on monday i watched him and from 630 am until 230 pm he only slept for about 15 mins maybe 20 at the most. and then went to sleep at 230 pm for about 1 1/2 hours. i dont know how to get him to sleep. and his mom says he cries himself to sleep all the time. its hard when i already have 2 babies to take care of. and some days he cries alot and wants to be held all the time and i cant hold him all day when i have 2 others to take care of. i just need a little help. i want to contunie watching him for my friend cuz she has nobody else to watch him.

Georgia_Momma22

Asked by Georgia_Momma22 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my kids were like that it helped to rub the side of there cheek with my finder and it would put them to sleep. All so have you tried giving him a pacifier? or playingmusic? All so rocking worked for me as well. Most things take time to get them to sleep and it sounds like you don't have much of that. I use to run a day care years ago and I would put the child I had problems with getting to sleep in my room in a playpen and let them cry for about 5 to 10 minutes at a time. Normally they would drift off to sleep by the time I went back in to check on them. I hope this is of some help. Good Luck to you.

dia4

Answer by dia4 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I would wrap him up like he was a new born and SH .......in his ear it has to be dark and quite in the room you are in.
    mandyandthree

Answer by mandyandthree at 11:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I put our baby on his side, using one of those wedge things that have the curved sides to hold them in, so they don't roll on their back or tummy. He loves it....been using it since birth, 4 months now. When he pees through his things, I roll blankets and put them on both sides of him, you could try that? Swaddle.....other girls suggestions above. That kinda stinks that you are with him to establish that routine. Run a fan for that "white noise"... I'm sure you're trying all kinds of things, after all you have your own kids. good Luck
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• all the pp have great ideas yuo could also try wearing him for 15 20 minutes this works miracles for my baby then i can take him out of the carrier and put him in bed and he sleeps a while
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• thanks for all your suggestions i will try some of them...i know i cant rock him i have tried that b4 and he doesnt take a pacifier is there a way to get him to take it? ive tried laying him down and rubbing his back and patting his back all he does is cry and cry. i feel sorry for the little guy. he cries himself to sleep at home to thats what the mom said. ill try a dark room by himself and see if that works i havent tried that yet. thanks everybody
    Georgia_Momma22

Answer by Georgia_Momma22 at 7:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2008