Seems to me like the need to wear the "right" clothes with the right label inside effects kids so much earlier now. What do you think?

My 7 year old 1st grader is concerned that her clothes are cool enough. She wants everything from Justice.

I don't remember being worried about what clothes I wore until about Junior high.

What is your opinion?

CaseyErin

Asked by CaseyErin at 11:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• It is b/c the parents of these children were allowed to have brand specific clothes and they have passed that long to their children and are probably talking about it in first and second grade. I was only allowed to have clothes like that if I bought them with my own money. I have an ex-coworker that I grew up with and she was buying her toddler 50 dollar shoes and I have a had time spending 25. Her toddler also wore 75 dollar jeans and and I have a hard time spending 15. Thy are going to outgrow them or destroy them. Why spend that kind of money.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• None of my kids ever really paid much attention to labels.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:45 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• she might just want to fit in with the other kids.. i remember being like that in junior high.. i wanted everything from the limited... my mom couldnt afford it so i didnt get them.. i understand now but back then i didnt get i tt
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I knew we couldn't afford much but I always wanted the fancy clothes my cousins always wore. It is ok to want nicer things, you just have to respond well when it's not possible.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm the same as you. I didn' worry about it till I was in junior high as well but my daughter began to be more vocal about where she wanted to buy her clothes around 7 or 8. She has to have aeropostle, nike's, sperry's, and now that she is 10 she wants to carry a cute purse daily. I didnt carry purses until high school.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The thing that baffles me is that I have never bought Rachel anything from Justice. She didn't learn this from me---she picked it from school. I hate to see her on the "fit in" merry-go-round at such an early age....
    CaseyErin

Comment by CaseyErin (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• As a teacher I KNEW that kids become concerned with this way to early!

So I began to teach my kids how its not important...what is important is on the inside.

I would take them to the consignment shop with me...show them the prices...about how daddy works to pay for the things we need. I did this a lot actually.

I think it has helped....I also talk to them about being kind to everyone.....maybe a person who is not dressed so nice or smells etc.....they may be having a really hard time....

consideration for others and a focus on the "right" values is something that is TAUGHT...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:53 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My kids aren't. The only thing my 10yo cares about is that her jeans are "skinny". I got them for her at Goodwill. Otherwise I buy all their clothes at Target off the clearance racks and that's what they get. They whine and they get nothing and can wear clothes full of holes that don't fit instead. They are in 5th, 3rd, 2nd and starting kindergarten next year and none of them care about labels as long as they like the style of the clothes.
    My 10yo was asking for some expensive clothes for awhile so we got her a $50 gift card and took her to Kohls and she finally realized how expensive stuff was and didn't want to buy any of the stuff she wanted because of the price. She's been much more frugal since then.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2011