My son is 15 months, how many of you use toddler toothpaste or just water?? Someone told me he's to young for toothpaste

FRANCINE818

Asked by FRANCINE818 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh yes too young for toothpaste. Use just water or they do make baby teeth cleansers. Also thye say you can still just rub thier teeth with a wash cloth. No toothpaste though.
    nicholelpb

Answer by nicholelpb at 11:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My daughter is 9 months old and we've been using training toothpaste for a couple months now. She has 6 teeth, though. The training toothpaste is fine to be swallowed.
    lebrbria

Answer by lebrbria at 11:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• It's not that he is too young for toothpaste it's that he is too young for the floride in the toothpaste. They make special tooth paste geared for children under 2
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 11:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My son uses the toddler toothpaste or training toothpaste.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• HI again thats what I bought the toddler toothpaste Thomas the train & says its ok if itsa swallowed but wasn't sure when 2 use it
    FRANCINE818

Answer by FRANCINE818 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My daughters dentist told us to use the toddler toothpaste. It's not so much that it clean a whole lot better than water, but it gets them used to a different taste than just water and a different texture in they're mouth so when they do start using regualr toothpaste, it's not a foreign concept to them. And it is safe to swallow, but it will still foam very little so they can also practice spitting in the sink, but you don't have to worry about them swallowing it.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 11:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Yes, he's too young for regular toothpaste with flouride.
    Once he is old enough to learn to NOT swallow and old enough to learn to spit, you can use toothpaste with floruide. Until then, plain water or toddler toothpaste.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I use baby toothpaste because it's designed for kids this age. I've been using it since DS was 12 months.
    mommafurr07

Answer by mommafurr07 at 12:10 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I use a natural tooth cleanser made by JASON for babies and toddlers. It comes with a soft finger brush made out of silicone so it is gentle on teeth and gums. You can buy it in a natural food store. I purchased it at Whole foods.
    momof1sweetson

Answer by momof1sweetson at 12:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• We use just water, but my daughter loves practicing with mommy! Our dentist & Ped Dr both recommend a vitamin/todddler Flouride. She has been taking it since she was at least 8 months old. It helps strengthen their teeth as they come in.
    Renee0708

Answer by Renee0708 at 3:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2008