What idols are you casting down before the Lord your God?

for a long time i idolized my husband and put him before God. just recently i cast that down (meaning my husband is second to God and not my everything any longer)and put God back in the place He needs to be and have since seen God work in my life.
having that idol, blocked Gods work in my life.

what is it your struggling with giving up so God can be number one in your life?

fordeeperroots

Asked by fordeeperroots at 12:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Which God?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• God, the beginning and the end, the alpha and the omega...
    fordeeperroots

Comment by fordeeperroots (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Actually, the first thing I cast down was Yahweh/Jehovah/god himself. I worship at the altar of truth now.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• What do you mean by putting your husband second and not idolizing your husband? If I understand correctly, the way we love our husbands is a representation of how we love God. For example: Submission to our husband is also submission to God, Reverence to our husband, reverence to God( reverence meaning respect) I think once we can get the concept of how marriage is designed we won't see loving him as idolizing but as a dress rehearsal for meeting the Husband of husbands.

My second opinion is that our marriage is the next most important relationship other than God. Once we get our relationship with God in order our relationship with our husband will line up without "casting hims down" . This is not a biblical concept.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Well, out of the hundreds of different Gods described by humanity, it's hard to understand exactly which one you're talking about. Here's just a sample of what's available.

My guess is that you're talking about the Christian God (although given the complete lack of discussion regarding Christ, it's also possible that you mean the Jewish God).

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• ptomom
    what i meant by idolizing my husband was caring too much about what he thought of me. i was witholding part me from God because i was afraid of what my husband would or think or say to me about it. i completely agree with your answer about marriage. very nicely put.
    fordeeperroots

Comment by fordeeperroots (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I completely understand. We can never depend upon what others think about us, only what the Lord says about us is the most important. Blessings:)
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My control..control over circumstances, money, pride. That's what I'm working on, through the help and guidance of the Holy Spirit. What's hard for me is that I will have felt that I have laid these things at the Cross, but because my dh is where he is in his walk (and I'm unsure of where that is) these things keep popping up. There's only 1 way to eat an elephant, one bite at a time, and that's what I'm doing :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 12:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I can relate to kittieashy about My control. Sometimes I want to do things my way instead of handling it God's way which is always best.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• exactly, pto! and I know from experience that God WILL provide and take care of every situation. I need to get out of the way, lol!
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 12:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2011