What makes you better than anyone else?

This is from the SHAM... get over yourself question.  I noticed that some moms think that because they work or stay at home, they are better mothers' period.  Simply working or staying with your kids all the time does not make a better parent.  So what makes one mother better than any other mother? Are you better because your neighbor buys her kids' cigarettes and beer to party while she is gone?  Are you better because you do not allow your children to defile their bodies with harmful foods and drinks?

Come on ladies, as long as we are trying to do the best we can for our kids and want them to have the best, doesn't that all make us equal?  As long as were not supporting our kids heroin habit, aren't we all the same? 

krissyvelazquez

Asked by krissyvelazquez at 12:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No, not all mothers are equally as good. I'm not referring to staying at home or at working, but in general. I've known MANY mothers and some are way better at raising their children than others. It would be great if all mothers were wonderful, but the truth is...they aren't. It's a sad truth for the kids, but I've known some women who just didn't care enough about their children. However, I will say this...if a mother truly puts her child FIRST, she's almost always a good mom. The problem is that a lot of moms don't.

So I guess my answer is...if you put your child first, whatever that entails, you're a better mother than one who doesn't.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My husband thinks me staying home is better for us because he didn't want our son raised in daycare but that is our own choice, it may not be the same for everyone else, doesn't make me better, some can't afford it, some can, some want to work, some don't ...it's all about what YOU want and choose to do.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I always think I am better for my OWN children.  There is no one else on this planet fit to raise my children except me.  THATS how I am better.  As for other mothers, I think the same way.  I am not saying there aren't "bad" mothers out there but I like to stay on the positive side.  All of us do things differently, I like to embrace it and try to learn something instead of being a "know it all".  ;)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I agree with you wholeheartedly but you are beating a dead horse with this. People on this website are always going to think they are better than some other mother out there because of the choices they think are right, even though most of them won't admit it.
    Anonymous

• good luck with this one. ;)
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Okay I read that other post, I get what the deal is now.  I am a stay at home mom, that doesn't make me any better of a parent than someone who works.  We do what works for our family and I hope everyone else does the same.  I can't make other peoples decisions for them nor would I want to.  My decision is best for US. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Also, things aren't always so black and white. Working or staying at home DOES sometimes make a difference in how good of a mother a woman is. For example...a mom that works (by choice) so many hours a week that she never sees her child is not that great of a mother in my opinion. I knew a woman like that. Her and her husband were incredibly wealthy and she CHOSE to work almost 70 hours a week. It wasn't out of necessity. Meanwhile, her poor daughter NEVER saw her parents and were with nannies constantly. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, that's not that great of a mother. On the other hand, a sahm that can't stand being at home to the point where she abuses her children isn't a great mom either. My own mother suffered from a mother like this. She was abused bc my Grandma could not handle taking care of 4 children all day. It all depends on the individual situation. BUT sometimes working vs being a sahm DOES matter. cont..
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• cont...

My point is that sometimes the choice of whether or not to stay home does make someone a better mother, depending upon the circumstances. It would be nice if the world were all sunshine and roses, but the reality is that not everyone is a great mom and not everyone makes the right choices for their children.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Wow she ruffled some feathers :)
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• But that doesn't make you better. I would like these women to see they are being ridiculous because they think they are better than mothers because of their choice to work or not. No one is better than anyone else.

krissyvelazquez

Comment by krissyvelazquez (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2011