I bought a used breast pump off of ebay

I didnt know you couldnt reuse breast pumps. After I purchased this and recieved it. I read the instructions and it said for hygenic purposes donot reuse or resale used breast pumps. I cant return this to the seller on ebay she clearly stated no returns. But she said she only used it twice. Im so confused what to do. I bought it for like 60 dollars and change, and when I go on the website to buy replacement parts for it. Its adding up to about 30 something bucks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Take it to your local hospital. They should have a "baby" gift shop where you can buy new tubing bottles and little breast cups. Either that or you could boil the ones that came with it.
    You'll be just fine. They only say that to cover their butt.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• as long as you replace the parts its fine. do you think hospitals throw theirs out after one use?
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's unhygienic. Only one part of the pump touches your body (nipple suction thingy). Milk doesn't get into the tubing unless the pumped bottle is overfilled and you keep on pumping. Buy new bottles if you want but other than that you're fine IMO. I think the no reusing/sharing, etc rule is made up so the pump designers can make more money.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You could return it, but honestly, I think if you sterilize it, it should be just fine. I know they warn against it, but I think as long as it's thoroughly clean, you're good.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• just boil the parts..they can be reused technically..just buy new tubing and new filters...a lot of people sell them on ebay.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I agree, just sterilize it, it should be fine.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Thank you very much for all your answers :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• They are considered single user pumps, because (it's very rare) tiny droplets of milk can get into the actual pump. I would be comfortable with a used pump as long as I had new tubes and shields and bottles. Rental pumps are designed differently, there is no way any milk could get into the pump, which is why they're considered safe for multiple users. Another thing with a used single user pump, is that you don't know how long it will hold up. The more they're used, there sooner the motor can go.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Hospitals don't discard pumps after use because they're multi user pumps.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I would never ever use a breast pump that had been used by someone else even if had been boiled and the likes. It isn't worth risking getting something
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2011