How would you feel if your husband opened up a credit card in your name only when you thought it would be in your both of your names?

He also made himself an authorized user.  He also transferred a balance from another credit card, not my charges.

tastymama

Asked by tastymama at 12:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• First, don't listen to "ILuvmy5"! She's financially an idiot!

You need to sit down and talk with him as to "why" would he open up a cc without your knowledge or consent. Did he mention this before or bring it up and you forgot? This is a serious RED flag, cause I've seen spouses open up cards and loans without their consent that sent them down the road to financial ruin! EVERY women should KNOW their finances or be involved regarding ALL financial matters. If not, educate yourself and get involved. Lastly, I would request a credit report online and find out exactly what is
    going on with your household finances. Not to be alarmed but I would want to know....Don't you?... Good luck and hope this helps!
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Since it's in your name, I believe that you can cancel it. Then he won't be authorized to use it!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I would want to know why... My dh wouldn't do that w/o a good reason.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i would cancell it.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Please please listen to NikkiVans advice. If you two end up in divorce court (heaven forbid) one day, YOU and YOU ALONE are responsible for that bill, regardless of who charged it up. I learned that the hard way, and ended up with thousands of dollars worth of charges and a ruined credit rating. If you are married, every card should be in BOTH your names. Just in case.
    Inloveagain

Answer by Inloveagain at 12:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Well, my husband and I talk about everything so we'd have discussed it already and I would know why he did it.
    Anonymous

• It would be a huge red flag to me. I agree with the others who have said you need to discuss thiswith him. And don't let him tell you that him being an authorized user is the same as being a main account holder.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• If it's my DH then I would not care.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i would be upset that i did not know it was going in just my name when thinking it was going to be in both i would just cancel it right away
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 12:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I would really wonder about it - and contact the credit card company and remove him as an authorized user - after I transfered his charges back to his own card.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2011