Please help and no criticism...I really need some advice.

My daughter is 2 1/2 and is still very dependent on her bottle only to sleep and if she's upset. I KNOW she should have been off of it a long time ago, so I don't need people telling me Im a bad mom. I just need to know IF YOU had a problem with your little one, how did you get rid of it. It has nothing to do with crying herself to sleep either...she wakes for it once a night. She is vERY healthy and has a very balanced diet. Please give me some suggestions if you have any. the bashing can be taken elsewhere..thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They grow out of it . . . how many 7th graders are still on the bottle? Don't listen to judging from other moms about what age this and what age that. Only you can know what is good for your daughter.

BTW, many won't admit it, but there are tons and tons of 2 years olds that still breastfeed, bottlefeed, use a paci, suck thumbs, like to be rocked, etc. It is very normal.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Mom, they eventually out grow it, keep telling her that big girls don't use them and she is a big girl.

Answer by older at 12:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I can think of 2 options.
    1) just get rid of them and switch to a sippy cup of water beside her bed
    2) wean her off of it but putting less and less in it and not giving the option of a refill. If you are using milk in it then I would say slowly water it down until it no longer 'taste good' out of a bottle.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Honestly, as long as you are just putting water in it, it's not that big of a deal. IMO. You could offer a special stuffed animal or something for her to give it up and snuggle with a new bear ect. at night instead.
    Anonymous

• To get my son off the bottle I would offer a sippy cup, he would always decline but I stuck to it. Eventually if he got thirsty enough he would drink out the sippy. As for drinking at night he would wake up at least 3 time a night asking for milk. I would tell him milk has gone bye bye and you need to go to night night. I did this for like three nights after that no problem. I may sound harsh but it worked for me. GL. Be consistent.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I did manage to get my kids off the bottle by just after 1 year. It was not easy and involved a lot of trying different cups until I found one they each liked. I used a cup even if they got up in the middle of the night. That is the only thing I can think of. Just try some cups, at her age Nuby might be best. They are pretty cheap. I think Playtex also makes some good ones but they are more expensive. I wish I had better advice but unless I'm wrong this sounds more like maybe she is just not wanting to give up the bottle, right? Kids are very stubborn sometimes, I know. Good luck.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I don't think there's any painless way to take it away from her. I also think you just have to make up your mind that you are going to do it, and you tell her you aren't going to give it to her anymore because she is a big girl and big girls don't get bottles. Prepare yourself for the worst and stick to your guns. Either throw the bottles away or put them somewhere that she cannot see them or know they are there. And do not relent. It may not take as long as you think it will for the protests to stop.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• As long as you are not letting her go to sleep with the bottle, it is bad for her teeth. There are so many vitamins and minerals in the formula (healthier than milk). If you do not want to be criticizes do not let anyone know. My son was the same way and one day he just didn't want it anymore. We use the bottles as bowling pins now!! No worries, you are a good mom and and do what you feel is right for you :)

jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I would just toss it and switch her to a cup full time. The only issue I had was getting my oldest off of a cup but then after that I learned. When they are the right age toss it. They'll only throw a fit for a day. In which time they won't starve or get dehydrated.
    More than likely it's the same with your LO after a night or 2 she'll get over it.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I haven't had this issue with my kids but I guess my mom did with me :) She said her and my dad went away for a weekend when I was two and I stayed with their close friends. The mom I was staying with threw my bottle down the laundry shoot while I was watching and told me it was gone. My mom said I never woke up again because I thought it was gone. Maybe you could try some trick like that. Good luck!
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2011