Do yo think it rude?

Do you think it rude to ask people to bring goodies along for your birthday? I'm planning a 40th for myself and made it a sweets theme and have asked guests to either bake it, buy it or just bring your sweet self. Of course, I will be making my own and providing beverages. Hubs thinks it pushy. Thoughts?

Philly247

Asked by Philly247 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't do it unless it was called a pot luck. For a Birthday, no. Because you're supposed to take a birthday gift, unless you tell them that is the gift you'd like them to bring. Telling them to bring a sweet and then saying it's optional, really doesn't work, because they know they'll stand out and feel like a heel if they don't. Or if they don't want to bring something, they might just decide to not come.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't do it, but that's me. I would supply everything myself.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• If you are going to ask them to bring food, then you should also tell them that will be your gift, so don't bring anything else.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I don't think it's rude at all. They're your friends...and most I know love to contribute to the party
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 12:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• if you say ''if you wish to bring a sweet its welcome ''
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It is not pushy and why isn't he planning your party for you. Ask him what he is bringing?!?! Happy Birthday!!
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i think it depends on how many people is coming
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• bouncing momIf that is your Theme! Then NO it is not rude! I think that it sounds Fun! I would bring healthy smoothies!!!

tripletmom28

Answer by tripletmom28 at 12:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it. A lot of people feel strange about coming empty handed. I think that it is a good idea.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 12:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm the one who always brings the desserts and just want to see what others come up with. I never ask anyone to bring anything but would like to be on the receiving end just once. Of course, I'm stating that it's optional...it's just a theme.
    Philly247

Comment by Philly247 (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2011