Suffering

Many humans have been told that what god wants is for suffering to be used by human beings to better themselves, and to purify their soul. Suffering is good. 

Indeed, one whole religion is built on this belief, asserting that all beings have been saved by the suffering of one being, who died for the sins of the rest. This one being paid the "debt" said to be owed to god for humanity's weakness and wickedness. 

Do you agree that according to this doctrine, god has been hurt by the weakness and wickedness of humanity, and in order to set things straight, someone has to suffer?

Otherwise, god and humanity could not be reconciled, yes or no?

Thus suffering has been established as a redemptive experience.

Do you think that the reason humanity has created a civil law declaring that people have no right to end their own suffering or assist another in ending their own life, is as a result of the idea the suffering must go on, because that is what god wants?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I have never been taught that suffering is good and that is false doctrine. In fact, the Word of God says that "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it abundantly" (John 10:10). Jeremiah 29:11 says, " 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future'." However, Jesus made it clear there would be trials and tribulations, but God's intent is not suffering but to trust Him through the storms. Yes, it grieves God that we have turned away from him and are wicked. That is why Jesus died on the Cross, that all who repented of their sin and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord of their life would be reconsiled to Him.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 1:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Do you agree that according to this doctrine, god has been hurt by the weakness and wickedness of humanity, and in order to set things straight, someone has to suffer?

Disagree-

No- I believe its an antiquated law and now that we not only have medical intervention which at times prolongs suffering and an easy, safe painless way to end suffering-its time to take a look at it (or past time to look at it) again but I also think its one of those taboo subjects that probably will not take center stage for quite a while- I do see a shift in the medical community in that we have gone from save a life at all costs to a focus on end of life care-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I don't know why there is suffering. I do know it can teach us empathy towards others, and it can also propel to make drastic changes in our lives and send in a different direction we wouldn't have even considered if it wasn't for suffering. Knowing what suffering can do for us isn't the same as understanding why there is suffering,

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• No- do not believe that suffering is a means for atonement. I am glad that the medical community and many citizens have moved from a focus of life at all costs to compassionate end of life care.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• No, I do not believe in the concept of the Atonement, in needing someone to suffer to reconcile God back to the mankind He is supposed to love unconditionally. I don't believe any sort of reconciliation is necessary. And the idea of needing something like that goes against the unconditionally loving nature I believe God has.

And no I don't believe that everyone who is against the idea of death with dignity" is against it for religious reasons, just as there are MANY believers who support it. I know I do.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Bandgeek, Do you believe that ACCORDING to the DOCTRINE, god has been hurt by the weakness and wickedness of humanity? I know you interpret the doctrine differently that how it is outlined, but how do you know you're right?

clarity333

Comment by clarity333 (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You think people should trust this guy?

It is the will of God to be jealous, angry, and vengeful and to cruelly bring natural disasters upon the world: A jealous and avenging God is the LORD. The LORD is avenging and wrathful. The LORD takes vengeance on His adversaries, and He reserves wrath for His enemies. The LORD is slow to anger and great in power, and the LORD will by no means leave the guilty unpunished. In whirlwind and storm is His way, and clouds are the dust beneath His feet. He rebukes the sea and makes it dry. He dries up all the rivers. Bashan and Carmel wither. The blossoms of Lebanon wither. Mountains quake because of Him, and the hills dissolve. Indeed the earth is upheaved by His presence, the world and all the inhabitants in it. Who can stand before His indignation? Who can endure the burning of His anger? His wrath is poured out like fire, and the rocks are broken up by Him.

clarity333

Comment by clarity333 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i don't see any correlation between euthanasia and the doctrine you speak of. if you're trying to tie it into xtianity, as a xtian, i'd consider a quicker end to terminal illnesses as a means to a 'new life', one free of whatever was killing the natural body. in other words, wouldn't any xtian be more than happy to begin their sick/pain-free life in eternity, rather than a longer, harsher, nastier life with pain and illness?

of course, this is all surface-reading..i'm not diggin' deep this afternoon.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Disagree. I think (me personally) that most suffering comes about because of Satan. He delights in hurting people and he uses every trick in the book to turn people away from God. Alot of the time, God gets the blame for our suffering. But is it His fault? Not always. One reason we suffer is due to our rebellion against God and by the evil in our hearts. Much of the physical suffering we endure is our own doing; improper nutrition, laziness, smoking, abusing alcohol or drugs...Suffering can be a good thing in that it we can learn and grow during that period. For some, suffering will one day pass away. Rev.21:4 reads: "And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying; and there shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away." 

popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 4:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

Please don't take these verses out of context. These verses in Nahum are referring to the Assyrians. They were causing great suffering in Judah. So Nahum precalimed God's anger against Assyria's evil. He told them that God would destroy them--and God did in 612 B.C. They were conquered by a coalition of the Babylonians, Medes and Scythians. The word "jealous" is used here in the sense of the Lord's zeal for the protection of his people. Verse 3 also says that God is slow to anger. God desires to give sinners time to repent, but there is a limit to his patience; those who persist in wickedness will eventually encounter His wrath

popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 4:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2011