Question about worms adult content

My cat just had a vet vist about 2-3 weeks ago and they gave him the de-wormer just in case. And now hes pooping out really small worms. Should I give him more de-wormer or is it too soon? Why are they just now coming out?And where did they come from?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Pets

• Sounds like tape worms. They usually do not show up on fecal exams and are caused by ingesting a flea. It is also typically treated with a different dewormer than you other common parasites. Check with your vet to make sure you have to right dewormer for these worms.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• As long as they are dead that means the dewormer is working. You might want to call your vet just in case though.
    Anonymous

• Sometimes, dewormers take a little bit of time to work, and you will see the moving, live worms come out with and in place of feces. You can always call the vet for further instruction . . . it may take a few doses.

:)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'd call the vet back before giving any more medicine. The problem might be more serious than you can solve at home.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• No, it was alive.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• tape worms look like little pieces of rice and come out alive then dry up with time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I think you are supposed to de-worm every 3wks until all the worms are gone, but contact your vet to be sure. I'm not sure if it is different with cats than dogs. I was fostering a puppy last yr that had tapeworms (the first sign was the bloated belly, although she was very skinny everywhere else). I had her de-wormed, but a few days later I noticed that she was still passing live worms. When I called the vet, they had me bring her back in to try a different de-wormer. I few days after that she was only passing dead worms, then a few days after that the worms were totally gone. So, your cat may need a different brand of de-wormer.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011