What's wrong with being proud of your choice? I am a PROUD sahm.

I know, I know...I'm beating a dead horse, I'm sorry. But I'm sick of people acting like it's a crime to be proud of your choices as a parent. If a woman is proud to be a working mom, more power to her. I'm not going to get offended just because I stay home.

For some reason, on here at least, it seems as if someone is proud of their choice, some others take it as a put-down if they didn't make the same choice themselves. As if I say something positive about being a sahm, that I'm automatically putting down those who aren't. Is it insecurity or what? I don't put anyone down for NOT staying at home, but is it so wrong to be proud of what I'm doing? Does that offend anyone?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 12:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It's not wrong and shouldn't be offensive to anyone to state that you are doing what you love. I think it's more insecurity or someone wishing they could make a different choice. I'm in the middle. I love being with my kids and seeing their milestones. I'm glad I don't spend most of a paycheck on daycare. It's hard to stay home though. I'd like to work at least part time but here that is not an option for several reasons. No matter what you say, someone will take it the wrong way or as a comment on their life and choices. You know what is best for you and your family. Forget everyone else.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• lol nothing's wrong with being proud. I'm a PROUD working mom. I do it to support my family, and as a bonus I happen to really like my job. SAHMs support their family too, just in a different way. Both can have great satisfaction knowing they are taking care of their families and that's all that matters.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'll be more then happy to scream that I'm a PROUD STAY AT HOME MOM and I'm even prouder of my husband who makes great money to allow me to stay home!
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm not offended when someone says they are proud to be a SAHM. What I do find offensive is when they also add a reason that implies working moms don't raise their children, don't love their children as much, don't sacrifice enough for their children, etc., etc. So, if you are a SAHM and proud of it I'm happy for you; just don't imply that my choice makes me an inferior parent.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The way I see it is that it would only offend someone who wanted to have the choice to either stay at home or work. Personally I'm with you I stay at "home". But honestly it's not really a choice. I do enjoy it sometimes but I would also LOVE to be able to get a part time job 1 or 2 nights a week. Why that would offend anyone? I honestly don't care. lol And you shouldn't either.

I really thing congress should make being a SAHM a paid position! With how many titles we have to hold down? lol
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It doesn't offend me.  :)  I am a stay at home mom and happy with my decision.  I don't feel like that choice makes me better than someone who chooses to work.  We all are just doing the best we can and what we think is best.  ;)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I am proud to be a part time working mom. I feel I get the best of both worlds!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Maybe some of the people are just jealous because they are not able to do it for finacial reasons.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Nope! Doesn't offend me at all. I feel just like you and i am also a SAHM. I honestly feel blessed to be able to be with my kids 24/7. You should be proud and if someone has a problem with it tough titty for them.

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Ive never been ashamed to say I am a sahm. I feel BLESSED that I can be. There were times I did have to work part time to help support my family and I absolutely hated it. I loathed it. I couldnt stand being away from my kids and my husband to have to work. But I did it. I figure if someone has a problem with my choices then thats their problem, not mine.

Answer by gemgem at 1:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2011