If your worried about someone neglecting their kiddos, wouldn't you call SS?

I have never had to call social services, but I see so many questions on here about mommies worried about other kiddos, wouldn't you call ASAP if you were truly worried, or is not really confidential. I had to call animal services once, and to my knowledge the person did not know it was me? I honeslty couldn't sleep at night if I thought a child was in danger? Thoughts please!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 1:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would call, in fact I have called once. It's anonymous but even if it wasn't I would take the responsibility if I truly thought kids needed help.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Depends on the size of your county. Around here, things are NEVER confidential, so a lot of things don't get reported....
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I have called and even gave my name. I dont have any problem with people knowing I called on them.

Answer by gemgem at 1:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i would talk my concerns with them in person wether they liked it or not , if not changed that i can see , i would report if bad enuf to remove kids from the enviournment
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I would confront the person first if that doesn't help and conditions don't improve I would call children do not  deserve to be treated  wrongly

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 1:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I would and have called. If there is a real danger then I don't care if it is confidential or not. The most important thing is that the child is being taken care of and safe.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I remember when I was 12 a neighbor lady asked me to watch her 1 yr old baby. I was more then happy to but when I saw the baby I was mortified, he was literally a skeleton and was tiny just laying there in a baby seat. When I got done watching him I talked to an adult about how child protection should be called about this, the baby was being starved!... she told me to never get involved and to just mind my own business. That was a few decades ago and the fact I listened to that adult instead of instincts has always haunted me. I will always regret not calling child protection on my own, even if I was just 12, I still knew a 1 yr old should be active, chubby,and happy not skin and bones just staring.
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 3:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I have to. I'm a social worker and mandated reporter. Not to mention a responsible adult. If I truly observed abuse or neglect then I report.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm a mandated reporter. I have and will.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 7:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• If I see true abuse I call. If I see something I don't like I don't call. I am trained to know the difference. They make us take those stupid classes for a reason you know.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 2:11 AM on Feb. 26, 2011