Questions for moms who homeschool

DH really wants to homeschool our son at least untill middle school. Hes olny 4 right now. But Im not sure about this. Im worried he wont get enough interaction with other kids his age. But at the same time Im worried hell get picked on if he goes to school. we think he has ADD or ADHD..like Dh, so I thought that it might be better for him to go to school and be taught by someone that knows what they are doing. I dont know what to do. Please tell me how you decided to homeschool, and how you do it.

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 1:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if ADHD , the school distric will do evaluations , or you request them and keep pushing untill you get evaluations , if you havent already - call yout school distric office and ask for special ed. director , or the director of student services and request a eval for your concerns , get this going now you will be glad you did down the road , , yes , they start this young , ESD for your distric will contact you to set up appt. , it's not a big deal at all ,
    when this young it probly is better to get in school - there is special ed classrooms and can be very beneficial for your kid -- trust me --kids this young really dont make fun of other kids its when get older like 3rd grade or 4th even later , this is all very emotional issues as im sure you know , i wouldnt worry about alot this untill older but get evals going now kid dont have to already have to be in school.
    my son is 11 , ADHD , AUTISTIC , trust me do it
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Best thing to do is start now... There are box curriculum you can buy along the way.. For now you can find free stuff online, join a homeschooling group on cafemom & they will have plenty of websites for you to learn from..
    We are still trying to decide what we want to do. I have very mixed feelings. Homeschooling is wonderful for those who can do it.

As for social interaction. Get him into activities. Take him to the playground alot. Find anything in your area that brings kids together.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The lack of interaction for homeschooles is a big misconception. There are homeschool groups, co-ops and classes exclusively for homeschoolers. You are his mother, of course you can teach him and would be the best one. he is your son and you know him. I also think 4 is a little young to start assuming ADD/ADHD. Join Happy Homeschoolers. You will have good support there. GL!
    Anonymous

• Call your state's version of the "office of public instruction" for state mandated requirements involving homeschooling. They might even have some listings of homeschoolers in your area that you can contact for advice on specific questions...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My plan was only to homeschool for 1 year to get my daughter caught up because I was tired of fighting the school for help. We started in the beginning part of 4th grade. We haven't stopped because we had so much fun and she caught up to grade level and started advancing so fast. My younger girls didn't want to be left out, and we're still homeschooling. My oldest is in 9th this year, and the other's are in 4th and 2nd.

The homeschooling community is much bigger than people realize. There are all sorts of things to get you kids involved in and places to meet other kids. For a child your son's age I would recommend checking out your local library and finding out if they have a story hour or preschool playgroup. Your son is a good age to experiment with. Try homeschooling him now and see what it's all about and make up your mind later. GL

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The CafeMom Happy Homeschoolers Group has many wise and experienced moms:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/699

Answer by rkoloms at 8:34 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• If your husband wants to homeschool, let him do it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2011