I have a cat that like to pee and poop in my house plant :(

How do I make it stop and what can I do to help this poor plant?
bad bad kitty kat, LOL

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Pets

• I had a plant and a cat with the same "relationship". I ended up buying a small bag of landscaping lava rocks. The surface is very rough and kitty didn't like how it felt on his feet. So, that little issue ended with that.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Is it the same plant every time? If it is then you need to get rid of the plant the pot everything. Cats & Dogs tend to so this thing where they pee on something once & even though you clean it really well if there is still a hint of smell there they will continue to do it over & over again.

Our cat pissed in the entryway carpet, we had to tear up the entire carpet clean up the floor underneath & lay down tile. Only then did she stop doing it.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I would get rid of the plant or it won't stop = I have 3 cats - stubborn little buggers :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You could always put some sort of deterrent there- cayenne pepper/black pepper/paprika on the soil, stick plastic forks, prong side up in it, get some of the spray for that kind of thing at the store... There are a lot of alternatives.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I agree, if the smell is still there, the kitty will be attracted to it moreso. Time to change the soil and I've heard that orange spray or even just juice from an orange or any kind of citrus(more natural) deters the kitty as they don't like the smell. I don't have any personal experience with using orange or lemon juice, but I've read about it.
    Peggs11

Answer by Peggs11 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• yes they have marked that plant, get rid of it
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:58 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I have a ktty who LOVES to eat oranges. So, not so sure they hate citrus.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:06 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yep..same plant everytime...thats a shame..its a nice tree plant too,lol. Figures.
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Arent they just stubborn little things? LOL gotta love the little furballs anyway! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2011