I dont think this is safe-should I report?

so I recently bought my son a brand new Graco my ride 65 carseat from babiesrus about 3 weeks ago. this last few days he has unbuckled and buckled the carseat buckles like the chest clip. This is not safe if he is in the backseat and I cant see him because he is rear facing and I am driving and he undoes the chest clip. I have told him no many times and try to make sure he understands that its naughty and not safe. should i report it to graco maybe its a safety recall or maybe my son is too smart for his own good? but I want this carseat to last him that is why I got it. any suggestions?

djanowski775

Asked by djanowski775 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have the My Ride 65. My son pulls at it and it does not 'just come apart'. There are times it doesn't come apart right away for me when I push the buttons. Call and see if you can get your money back, but I do not think it's the seat in general. It could be something with your specifically or that your son has very good dexterity.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• At 2 1/2 years old it's likely not a faulty clip as much as it's a kid that doesn't want to be in the car seat. Both of my kids were able to buckle and unbuckle their seats at that age. In fact, at that age, I'd help them in the car and they'd get themselves in the car seats.

I know many families prefer to extended-rear facing...but at 2 1/2 he's old enough and likely more than large enough to safely face forward. Why not flip him around? Any issues we had with our kids in their car seats stopped once they were facing us. I could keep an eye on them easier and they were more a part of the family along for the ride - they can see what was around them better and they were, frankly, more comfortable. You may find that he's less apt to mess with his belts if you turn the seat around.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• 2 1/2 should not be rear facing...
    Anonymous

• Call graco dont make a fuss about the clip being unsafe though. Report what is going on then ask for your money back on the carseat. Go out & buy a new carseat if he still unclips it then you need to figure out how to explain or disciplin him to stop doing it.

Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• out of curiousity how old is your son
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• yes

Answer by admckenzie at 1:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I would call just to see.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• oh sorry was going to write that. My son is 2 1/2 years old.
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• (cont) Honestly, if he's *not* staying in his seat belt, he's not safer rear-facing. It only works if it's on. If he keeps the belt on while facing the other way, it *is* a safer option.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• um well i dont see how forward facing him would help with the buckle situation. I will NOT forward face my child until he grows out of the rear facing either height or weight. He is 2 1/2 years old but only 23lbs so no I wont risk my sons life. I have never had a problem with a buckle being that easy to push the clamps so it will unbuckle. In face most of the carseat buckles are even hard for me to do all the time. If its not a concern from Graco-it should be! I mean if he can do it so easily at 2 1/2 then think what he can do at 3 1/2! I am afraid if we are in an accident and he comes undone itself. and to me i think its a mess up on gracos part and will probably soon be a recall because the chest clip just doesnt seem to buckle all the way and i make sure its as far as it can go. I have already contacted graco and if i dont hear back then I will return it to babies rus and get a britax which is hard for me to.
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2011