My son has adhd and pdd nos and i was wondering ..

my son has both and is on Focalin XR - he has been on it almost a 8 months .. he recently witnessed my mother in the hospital on the vent (2 weeks ago) and since hes having problems in school .. as he goes to the nurse every day .. and is making up stories about his house burning down ect .. he is also complaining he is sick all the time .. he cant breathe ect .. hes been falling telling the nurse he knows hes broke his legs ect .. i was just wondering if any one else has had these problems .. and yes we do have both an appt with his dr as well as his therapist .. but well its not until next week .. as this has been a super bad week for him at school .. =(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Kids' Health

• ever research the feingold diet? my brother was diagnosed adhd and was asthmatic until my mother cut out artificial colors from his diet. worth a shot
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 1:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I dislike when they diagnose ADHD and PDD NOS. The criteria for PDD NOS in the DSM contains the same criteria for ADHD. To me, it never made sense.

Anyway, it could be that what he had seen has influenced his recent behaviors.
    My son used to go to the nurse every day too. Luckily it was just a phase. His teacher and I talked and we agreed that she would stop sending him when he obviously didnt need to go. He stopped asking. I hope you are able to figure it out! Good luck.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Sounds like generalized anxiety or OCD. Sometimes anxious children (or OCD which accompanies ADHD quite often) can make some kids have a hard time getting a bad image out of their heads. I think a good anti-anxiety counselor for children might help. We used one and it was awesome.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 9:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2011