Followers of Christ, what does this mean, to sin against our conscience?

1 Corinthians 8:6-8 (New King James Version)

6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.
7 However, there is not in everyone that knowledge; for some, with consciousness of the idol, until now eat it as a thing offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. 8 But food does not commend us to God; for neither if we eat are we the better, nor if we do not eat are we the worse.

fordeeperroots

Asked by fordeeperroots at 1:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it means that we know right and wrong and if we don't follow our conscience we sin against it...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• To go against a personal conviction that can hinder our walk. For example going to the movies may not bother me, but for someone else it can remind them of going to the movies for making out or something. Therefore going to the movies reminds them of worldly sins which can cause them to have a conviction not to go.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 3:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Here's what Warren Wiersbe says: "Life is controlled by conscience. Conscience is the judge within that commends us for doing right and condemns us for doing wrong. If we sin against conscience, we do terrible damage to the inner person. Conscience is strengthened by knowledge. As we grow in spiritual understanding, a weak conscience becomes stronger and we appreciate our freedom in Christ more and more. The weak believer must not run ahead of his conscience and the strong believer must never force him to do so. Knowledge must be balanced by love. Your spiritual knowledge can be either a weapon to hurt people or a tool to build people. If your knowledge puffs you up, it will tear others down. Love knows when and how to yield to others without compromising the truth."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Um...I don't think it could be put any better than NannyB's post, so I'm just gonna get some points. lol Good question btw
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 5:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I think you have to read the entire chapter. And I'm not sure why you are asking about sinning against conscience---maybe it's a version difference, but no where in CH8, does it actually say sinning against conscience in my version.

What it does say, in verses 9-13 is:
    But make sure that this liberty of yours in no way becomes a stumbling block to the weak. If someone sees you, with your knowledge , reclining at table in the temple of an idol, may not his conscience too, weak as it is, be "built up" to eat the meat sacrificed to idols? Thus through your knowledge, the weak person is brought to destruction, the brother for whom Christ died. When you sin in this way against your brothers and wound their consciences, weak as they are, you are sinning against Christ. Therefore, if food causes my brother to sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I may not cause my brother to sin.
    Cont...
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 7:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• The entire chapter 8 is talking about how those who have knowledge of what really is a sin, and what is not really a sin, shouldn't do something that is not really a sin in front of someone who doesn't understand why it's not a sin, because then you are actually causing that person to sin through their beefed up ignorance.

The story of why the knowledgeable could eat the meat sacrificed to idols was because they knew there were no idols, but just One God, and one Jesus...but for THEM to eat an know that is different than for a person who didn't understand, and see them eating, and think to himself, oh, it's okay to eat this idol sacrifice...because if the person didn't understand why it was okay, they might also assume therefore that idol worship was also okay, by extension...so therefore, the knowledgeable person's actions influenced the weak to sin against God. Thus, Paul says, he would rather not eat meat at all.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 7:31 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• God put in us right from wrong and we know innately what we should and should not do...therefore to sin against conscience is to sin against what you innately know in wrong. Ex: Your mom never had to tell you not to steal from her purse....you just knew it was wrong....but you do it anyway. Would be to sin against your conscience, because you already know it is wrong.
    sondaughter312

Answer by sondaughter312 at 12:02 AM on Feb. 27, 2011