Do you let your toddlers dress themselves?

My son will be three in April and he's very independent. He likes to pick out his own clothes and sometimes he looks ridiculous but if we're just going out running errands than I don't really care what he's wearing.

Today he wore a pajama top (just a long sleeve shirt that said "Grandma lets me stay up late') and some track pants. But he wanted to wear them inside out, lol.

erinwhitt

Asked by erinwhitt at 1:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yeah , i usually pick the cloths and try to show they need to match
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• He does like to dress himself but I do care what he looks like. If we're just staying here I'll let him wear whatever but if we're leaving then I'll pick it and let him dress himself but just with a little bit of help.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I let my 2yr old pick out his clothes sometimes if we are just running erans, yesterday he wore a sleeper with a zip up jacket and his sister cowboy boots, and he took a backpack. poeple looked at me funny and I just told them he like what he is wearing
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 2:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Now that is just the cutest. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting your toddler express himself. If your not going anywhere inportent anyways, then it's really not hurting anything. If I did see your boy dress kike that I would assyme you let him dreess himself, and it also helps him be indapendent and as he gets older he will get better and then he;ll start tring to match and all that good stuff.

Mom of four....
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I don't care what my son is wearing as along as it's weather appropriate. He loves being able to make that decision on his own. He is very proud that he picked it out on his own and dressed himself. I also make sure he puts his clothes in the hamper and he puts the clean clothes away, because that is part of the responsibility you get with the privilege.
    Mamapanda

Answer by Mamapanda at 1:35 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• If we are not going to be leaving the house I do allow my children to dress themselves. I suffer from OCD so it takes alot for me to allow them to not match, or look like they are always going somewhere. Like today my almost 3 yr old dressed himself and he did great...Then I seen his undershirt and just laughed. He put on Khakis, a long sleeve printed dress shirt, a white tee with stripes on it underneath, shorts under his pants and red socks. Ahhh good thing you can't see the undershirt or the socks! Since his daddy was taking him to watch his cousin play basketball.
    AbbeyKAy

Answer by AbbeyKAy at 9:31 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I don't remember from when my daughter was little and my grandsons are not quite old enough to pick out clothes (17m), but I used to hear a lot for the parent to pick out several outfits (2 or 3) the night before and let the child choose in the morning. That way they are still being independent but you have some control that they are wearing something appropriate. I think this was a time-saving tip for getting out of the house on time if you had to get to work/daycare/school on time in the morning.
    bojolinda

Answer by bojolinda at 3:00 AM on May. 26, 2011