I am so unbelievably offended. I was treated like a drug addict.

Please don't be mean, anyone reading this. I've had a horrible day and I can't stop crying. You may have seen my previous post. I had a wisdom tooth taken out Monday, have had a dry socket and have been in the worst pain of my life. The vicodin they've given me works for about an hour before the pain becomes excruciating again.

Anyways, I went in yesterday and had the dry socket socket stuffed with this stuff to make it feel better, but today it's been so horrible that I've almost went to the ER. I called the dentist again and asked for stronger or different pain meds bc the vicodin isn't working. They told me they're calling in a different prescription, and I was getting ready to go pick it up. Then I get a call back from them saying that they were alerted by the pharmacy that I received a refill on the Vicodin yesterday, which I never tried to hide. I wasn't trying to get MORE, I was trying to get something that would work. To make a long story short, they treated me like I was just trying to get pain pills and like I'm a drug addict or something, asking how many I've taken, how many I have left and what I "usually" take. I don't usually take prescription pain pills! I've never been in so much pain in my life. I had a c-section and the pain was NOTHING compared to this. I can't stop crying because I'm so embarrassed and offended. The dentist ended up talking to the pharmacist and prescribed something stronger, but now I don't even want to go pick it up. This has just been such a shit day, and now I get treated like someone who is lying just to get pills. I told the dentists office that I was very offended and they apologized, but still...am I the only one who would be really hurt over this? I'm probably overly sensitive bc I'm in pain, but now I don't even want to go to the pharmacy bc I feel like they think I'm a pill popper who's just trying to get drugs. I just feel so stupid, embarrassed,a nd offended.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 2:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Health

• hugswho cares what they think! go get your pain meds and on your way out give them the one finger salute.hope u feel better soon..i've had dry socket too..its horrible.they gave me vocodin too whivh ended up making me sick and when i asked for something else because of it,they acted like i was a druggie too.idiots.not everyone is addicted to pills but they act like everyone is!

kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Aw, hon, I understand but please try to keep in mind that there are a LOT of people out there who are abusing prescription drugs, so docs and pharmacists have to on the lookout for it. Also, if you take too much, they could be held liable if something happens. I hope they weren't rude about it and just acted concerned instead--they really do need to be careful. People can get hooked on the RX painkillers very quickly.

I completely understand why you'd feel demeaned, but it's also probably bothering you more than it normally would because of your severe unhappiness and discomfort right now. I am glad they apologized to you and hope that helps your feelings some.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• no need to feel this way , this happened to you cause other people have ruined it for those who are true . go get pills who cares what they think , really who cares if they even remember you.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm sorry you're in pain. but if they really thought that you were a addict they wouldn't have filled the script. About the same thing happened when I was assaulted last year, I got 20 questions from the pharmacist because they had me on so much stuff. I had to wait longer because they had to double check with the hospital, all kinds of stuff.

keep in mind, you are on vicodin and getting upset and all is part of the side affects of the drug.
    but please don't suffer, ask someone to take you to pick it up, and go and get it. there's no point of you being in pain when you can get the medicine and feel better.

They were just doing their job.
    Anonymous

• it will heal eventually, just don't swish any thing in that area, or don't drink with a straw the sucking alone ''pullin in'' of air may pop out the blood clot that needs to form.

nothing is more painful than a tooth being pulled with a dry socket. It sounds as if you still have a piece of the tooth or root left behind, did they have to go into the bone to get bits of the tooth, it's best to just go get the pills before you need to get refused at the hospital for complaining of pain. If the pills are in. go.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 2:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Talk about adding insult to injury. I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I got two dry sockets when I had mine out and because I was under 18 at the time, all they would give me was ibuprofen. I hope you feel better soon!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm sorry you were treated this way =( I would be upset too. And on top of a a toothache!! I HATE having a toothache, they're the worst. Go get your medication, don't suffer. Like vicesix said, they were probably just concerned for you.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• hugsfeel better

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Just remind yourself that it all has to do with protocol, not you. They talked and decided that you were not an addict, so you have nothing to be ashamed of.

I know what that feels like, though. I was denied pain medication while in the hospital after abdominal surgery because I told the physician at intake that I had a PRN medication for migraines. She wouldn't even give me Tylenol! She made me suffer for a whole day before she finally admitted that she was teaching me a "lesson". Then, she ok'd tylenol.

Now, how about that for labeling someone who takes Midrin twice a month for a migraine? That was craziness.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• first, relax, take a deep breath, swallow your pride and go get that prescription! you are in pain and you need to take care of it before it gets out of control & you have to go to the ER. yes, i would be offended also especially if i were in that kind of pain. but whats most important here is you do have something that could potentially help you get through this agony waiting for you at the pharmacy! it sounds to me like it was more of a pharmaceutical precaution than anything. i once worked at a pharmacy and we had to keep tabs on how much narcotics were going to each person. you know youre not a pillhead, thats what matters. i know the tooth pain, i had agonizing pain myself with a wisdom tooth but never the dry socket which ive heard is 10 times worse than the actual wisdom tooth pain.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2011