Why is WALMART so great?

I hate it, completely, 100% HATE WALMART. I can't figure out why anyone would choose to shop there. I can get far better deals elsewhere. I don't like the clothes at all, the products appear to be cheaply and poorly made plastic crap, and, they are so far away from where I live I would spend about $40 in gas just to get there and back.

Give me the pros AND cons of this mega-giant retailer.

SnapdragonSMT

Asked by SnapdragonSMT at 2:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Shopping

• The desecration of the American job market and economy- WM and their cheap, foreign made crap!

Proud mom- by shopping at WM you are forever destining yourself to be poor- Buying 1 quality outfit (think American made) is better than shelling out money to China for 10 cheap outfits. As long as people shop at WM, the jobs will stay off shore-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Convenience. We have a super Wal-Mart near our house, and although I don't shop there a lot, I will admit that occasionally I do because I have several things I need and Wal-Mart is the only place I can stop and get ALL of them. If I am pressed for time, I do not want to have to make 5 different stops in 5 different areas of town to complete my shopping list.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• That's the only place I CAN shop because I have very low income. But, the clothes are cheap, the food is cheap, and that works for me just fine :)
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• its great for people like me, who have 3 young kids, low income, and need groceries/household items for cheap. some of the publix brand stuff costs more than the brand name stuff at walmart. if you enjoy being ripped off, hey, thats your perogative. i enjoy saving money. and they have a cart i can conveniently stick all 3 of my kids in, so i can shop & actually concentrate.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm not a big fan of Walmart, but I shop there because 99% of the time they are about half price of other stores (grocery stores, that is) around here. Cosmetics, cleaning supplies, pet supplies, electronics, OTCs, etc. are also a lot cheaper there than anywhere else nearby. I don't really like Walmart, but it saves money.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i guess a pro would be cheap-ass prices. And for small towns, sometimes it's all you have for a store, especially a conveince store.

cons-sooo many! cheap goods and materials, old foods close to experation date, skany people, scary employees, "people of walmart" site, lol, giving your money outside your community.

personally, i would rather shop at my local grocery store (i think i save more moeny there with coupons and in-store specials), and pay more for quality clothing and material goods.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It works for people on very low income. Plus it has almost everything so you can get in and out.
    ja2010

Answer by ja2010 at 4:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I hate Walmart.. The stores (here anyway) are always dirty and poorly lit and the employees are unfriendly. They are ALWAYS super crowded and only have 6 or 7 registers open.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• my husband works at the distribution center so I like that he has a decent paying job :)

Some walmarts are nicer than others but mostly I like it since I can get everything in one place. I don't buy clothes there but I do buy shampoo, paper products, cleaning supplies and food all in one trip.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I hate it too. I only go there when it's absolutely necessary. They do carry a couple of things that no one else around here carries, so I end up there probably once or twice a month.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2011