Kids and Guns

It's typical in my family, for kids around the age of 10, to receive their first hunting rifle. My sister and I did not marry men who hunt, so it was never an issue for either of us. My kids won't own guns, hopefully ever. My husband was raised by peace activist parents, so guns were NEVER a consideration.

While I don't have a problem with children learning gun safety or even learning how to safely and properly hunt, I'm not 100% sold on gun ownership in general.

My question? Do you think, in certain circumstances, that children owning and using guns is good or bad? Why or why not?

SnapdragonSMT

Asked by SnapdragonSMT at 2:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Terrible idea! Way too young. So many children die each year from guns it's crazy! I HATE GUNS! And don't have much respect for "parents" who think it's cool to teach their children about guns so young. I don't let my son over one of his friends house because they have guns there.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• A gun in and of itself will not hurt anybody. It is the person handling/using the gun that will hurt somebody. My father was a competitive target shooter and I was raised in a house with guns. They were not locked away in a safe or hidden from view like pornography. Instead, my parents were very open and honest about the guns and we were taught from a very young age that to play with them by ourselves was not allowed. If we wanted to see, touch or hold any of the guns, all we had to do was ask. By making it no big deal, the guns never took on the gleam of forbidden fruit and we really weren't that interested in messing around with them. I think proper education in gun safety goes a lot further than people think.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I grew up in a small town where kids drive, hunt, and such at an early age. Though it's a way of life for some, i still don't agree with it. My father in law hunts, but my son will not be joining him until he is 18 (and preferably not then either, but it's not my say). Some kids can be very mature, but i think all adolescents and young adults lack some impulse control.

Anonymous

• bad , too young
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My kids go to the shooting range with us all three have their own guns. They are kept in a gun safe in my walk in closet. I am sure what we do isn't popular but I am not in a contest. We enjoy target shooting as a family.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 2:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I grew up with guns in our home. Not locked up. I did get a .22 rifle (fit my size) when i was young (before 10).. I was taught gun safety & had a great fear/respect for guns.. I would never touch one without my dad around.. Even visiting a friends house- if their parent brought a gun (never happened) around I wouldnt think of touching it!! And I knew enough about gun safety to not ever let (even unloaded) one be pointed toward me or anyone else.
    My dads guns are now mine. and locked up. But dd will know gun safety (she is 4yo so not around them yet). If she wants to hunt ( I dont ) that is her choice & will be daddy/daughter time..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My son will not be owning a gun. But I know plenty who do, that are not locked in a safe place, and kids who have extensive knife collections. My son will not be visiting houses where this is the case.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Keep children away from guns . Then there will be fewer tragic accidents . Not something I have to worry about personally as there are no guns in the house and never will be
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• um, no. why does a child need a gun?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I have friends who hunt and their children go hunting with them, 8 years old or younger. My opinion is no guns, at any age, period. Some people use guns for hunting, completely understandable. Some people feel the need to protect their house with a gun, not for me, but completely understandable. I think it depends on the family and the situation.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 2:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2011