Why are chain restaurants so popular?

Especially since most of their food tends to be a less than stellar example of the dish?

MamaTooth

Asked by MamaTooth at 2:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Food & Drink

• No matter where I go.. state.. town.. even sometimes country! The menu is generally the same (with a few local favs added) and taste the same..
    Personally I have a VERY SENSITIVE stomach so going to a new place can ruin an entire day if i eat something that may not agree with me..Believe me going to a fun new place. taking 2 bites of food to realize it taste good, but is going to flip my stomach is no fun!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Because they are familiar...People don't like leaving their comfort zones...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Consistency! I know I'd rather do a starbucks over a little coffee shop because I know what the caramel mocha tastes like and it always tastes the same! They train everyone the same way at every starbucks. You never know when you walk into unfamiliar territory.
    cailynsmommy626

Answer by cailynsmommy626 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• because its better than how I make it and I don't have to cook!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• we are creatures of habit.. if mc d's fries are good 1st , 2nd, and 3rd time they are always good!! Anyways they do their fries so good, that my kids won't eat ours , but I love home fries from home, with onions.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 2:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Marketing. They have the money to get the word out, and it brings people in.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The chains use recipes and therefore the food always tastes the same. You always know how the food is going to taste.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Familiarity and comfort especially true with small kids.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• They are everywhere!
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Thanks ladies! I do occasionally go to a couple myself (In n Out is one that comes to mind), but I often wonder why people choose some over local establishments that are dedicated to their food. :)
    MamaTooth

Comment by MamaTooth (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2011