Good starting out workout

Just got a membership to 24 hour fitness but now sure what a good starting out workout is. I like to swim and have been walking a mile everday. Then I sit in the steam room. I keep thinking "what would Jillian be doing to me right now?!" I'm so out of shape it's not funny and I'm over weight. I don't want to kill myself initially or I will hate the gym and not go back yet I do want to lose weight so want to make it worth it?

jamiesuev22

Asked by jamiesuev22 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Anyone?
    jamiesuev22

Comment by jamiesuev22 (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My trainer thinks any type of cardio to get your body moving is good in the beginning and for continous fitness. 30mins-1hr on a treadmil 6 times a week is a good start then you can gradually go to strength training and other stuff.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The walking is great....perhaps wear or use 2 pound handweights, build up to 2 miles. And then perhaps 3 or 4. And then try to beat your time. If you do a 20 minute mile, try a 17 minute mile, and build up your endurance. Then start adding some weight training to build lean strong muscle, which yes it builds muscle, but it also speeds our metabolism meaning you'll burn more calories the rest of the day, even just relaxing in that steam room
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Do they have classes? I used to be a member of the YMCA and I would schedule my workouts to some of the fun classes. They can be VERY tough but luckily they won't down you for pausing when it's too much and being with other people of various fitness levels from those who will be pausing more or as much as you to those who could do that class 3x a day and it helps you push yourself and before you know it you will find yourself doing the whole class without stopping!! Good luck!!!
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 10:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Thanks! I have been paying attention to my time on the treadmill and am currently at a 13 minute mile, better than the 15 when I started. I've thought about classes but am ofcourse apprehensive since I'm so out of shape! Thanks guys-
    jamiesuev22

Comment by jamiesuev22 (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Try out a beginners class
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:27 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would start with the classes. Try kickboxing or spinning for a great cardio workout, body sculpting to get familiar with weights, pilates for core strenght along with overall strengthening and gym yoga is a nice way to take a break from strenuous exercise and stretch everything out. (I said "gym yoga" because usually the yoga classes taught at the gym are very very beginner and basic. I in no way am meaning to imply that yoga is not strenuous or easy....it's a great workout when done at a yoga studio)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:44 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Ok you have encouraged me, I'm going to do a yoga class! i've really been wanting to but haven't had the nerve yet. But its amazing how quickly you can become comfortable in the gyn once you start going. I don't care what I look like, what ppl think, if I'm not sure how to use a certain maching, etc. I've had my membership for about 2 weeks now and have missed only one day, have lost 10 pds. and can't believe how good I feel!!!!
    jamiesuev22

Comment by jamiesuev22 (original poster) at 1:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Swimming and walking are great ways to start. Push yourself a bit harder every few days, and you will start noticing more endurance, strength, and weight loss.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• 10 minutes of stretching, 30 minutes of cardio, 10 minutes of post-cardio stretching. =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2011