Second hands clothing

I have started purchasing a lot of clothing for my kids at Goodwill and garage sales. It's not because we can't afford new clothing, it's because there is no reason to not buy gently used items. My kids just trash their stuff anyway, and they really like going to Goodwill and garage sales, so it's a win-win for me!

Would you do this and if you don't, why?

SnapdragonSMT

Asked by SnapdragonSMT at 2:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes we do and to be honest I think it is very smart! Like you said most kids don't take care of their things anyways and they grow out of there clothing so fast. There are some good items to be found too. We find lots of name brand clothing for our boys at yard sales that look like they have never even been wore..so, yeah we def do this.
    BlessedMommy28

Answer by BlessedMommy28 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I take my son's usable clothes that he has outgrown to the used baby store and get store credit toward a bigger size.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• been doin it for years
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I DO do this. I fail to see the point of paying out the butt for kid stuff that they'll wear for a couple of months,a season at the most

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I shop at consignment stores, but not goodwills anymore. goodwill stores do not require clothing be washed, and some cities have had probelms with fleas and bugs (like the bed bugs). I'm careful at garage sales too, but most in my area do wash thier clothes before putting them out for sale, and you can tell (smell them). I see nothing wrong with used clothing, but it's just gross not to clean them before giving or selling. No matter what i buy, new or used, goes directly to the washing machine when i get it home. And like you, it's not that we can't afford more, my son just grows through clothes so fast lately. My husband can't even tell which pieces of cothing are from a consignment store, and which are new. I love end of season clearance sales!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Its how we've always done things. Tag sales, good will, clearance racks, garage sales, etc.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I rarely do... I sell their stuff at a consignment shop. Their step mom gets great deals for them at consignment shops though. I think I just don't have the eye for it.
    ConcernedMom141

Answer by ConcernedMom141 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I don't do this but its not a bad idea there's nothing wrong with it in my opinion

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 2:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Ofcourse! The only time I can see not doing it is for your first. you want everything new etc etc. But after that initial insanity gently used is the way to go. I'm luck to have a "kid to kid" resale shop close to me and it is the best!
    jamiesuev22

Answer by jamiesuev22 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Just about all the jeans my older 3 kids have now are from Goodwill. I'm shocked at how many nice jeans I find there considering how rough my kids are on them. My 9yo son ripped the knees out of his in just a month. Oh well. They were only $5 for Levis.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2011