Unity or Division?

Who & what is god?

What does god want & why?

In unity theology, god is life, and everything in life. Also, god wants nothing, because god is and has everything that god could possibly want.

Separation theology does not support that idea of god.

Do you think that humanity would benefit from shifting their thinking from separation theology to unity theology?

If so, do you think that's even possible?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Who & what is god? I don't believe in personal gods at all, so to me 'God' is a concept created by humans. My belief is that the concept of God is equivalent to the Universe itself or forces of Nature and we are all a part of 'God' or Nature so to speak.

What does god want & why? Not anthropomorphic IMO, so it doesn't want anything. Completely impersonal.

It sounds like my views might be compatiable with unity theology. Although I enjoy debating points about religions, I am generally inclusive and pluralistic in my views. I find I have much in common with most non-theists and even some inclusive theists. I hope it's possible.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Who is God? He is the Creator of all things.
    What is God? God is eternal, unchangeable, perfect, holy, triune, good, love, merciful, compassionate, patient, truth, faithful, just.
    What does God want? He wants us to love him with all our heart, mind, soul, strength, and to love one another. He desires that all men be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. (1Tim.2:4)
    Do I think it's possible? No.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 3:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• popzaroo said "What is God? God is eternal, unchangeable, perfect, holy, triune, good, love, merciful, compassionate, patient, truth, faithful, just."

You listed a bunch of words that describe character, but you never stated what you think god is in substance.

God is a spirit (John 4:24)
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:25 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• At this point in our evolutionary path, no. It won't happen. No matter how much sense it makes.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I don't believe God is anything other than a concept thought up by man to not only explain the unexplainable but "solve" the "tough questions" of philosophy such as the meaning of life.
    As a concept "God" cannot want anything any "wants' of god are merely representational of what the person that believes in said god wants.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I agree, Kristi. I'm just trying to dig into the religious mind, and ask questions by meeting them where they're at, so to speak.
    clarity333

Comment by clarity333 (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

clarity333

Comment by clarity333 (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• God is Yahweh an unchanging God, an uncaused God, and an ungoverned God. God is I am. God is Spirit. Since he has no limitation he can be everything we need Him to be.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Who & what is god? a figment of the human imagination in order to cope with things that they once could not explain. Something or some one to believe or have faith in order to get them through the hard times.

What does god want & why? apparently us to worship and know him in some religions while others nothing really at all except to take care of ourselves and one another. In my opinion I wouldn't see that he wants anything because he or she is not of body and doesn't have a conscience however because my theory is that it is all man made and in the mind I would say whatever the human needs or wants.
    There has to be a balance in life and there will never be unity amongst every single person.

jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• -You are asking about the substances of God.. it cannot be explained it must be experienced.

As for Unity or Division.. God is all about unity. He wants a unified people who believe and worship Him. He wants people to be unified and be able to agree to disagree on the different doctrines but know that they believe the one thing that unifies them in the first place Jesus and His Love.
    Who is God: the I AM
    What is God: He is not a thing but a person
    What does God want: YOU
    Why? Because He LOVES YOU
    It is that simple! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2011