Epidural or no epidural?

im not anywhere near my due date but i was just curious what you guys would choose or has chosen

my mom wants me to get one because she says it made it easier for her, my dad got mad at my mom for getting one because he didnt want me to be drugged up when i born, so he doesnt want me to get one, i dont want to get one unless i cant handle the pain at all, but im pretty good at handling alot of pain so we'll see what happens

Lizzypuppylove

Asked by Lizzypuppylove at 2:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I went with the lets see what happens thing too. I got one int he end though the pain was so much I couldnt speak & I broke the chair I was sitting in b/c it was so much. I dont remember how far along I was b/c I cant remember many details from that point lol but SO says I was like a demon!!!! Once they gave me the epi I passed out, was asleep for I dont know how long. Next thing I know the doctor is waking me up to push, SO again says he couldnt believe how they had to work to wake me up & I had no clue it was time to push. I felt nothing so I would recommend it. Good Luck hun
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Epidural. I would never have another child without one.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i had one with all 3 (the last two were kind of mandatory though since they were cesareans) but with my first i knew i wanted one. i asked for it as soon as i was 4 cm dilated. i do believe though that inductions bring on harder, stronger & faster contractions thanks to the pitocin. i have heard from women on here that if youre body goes into labor naturally & you contract naturally, that they are somewhat more manageable than chemically induced contractions. i was induced with my first (stroke-level blood pressures) and the contractions sucked. in all honesty though, when my baby's head was engaged in the pelvis, the epidural did not relieve that pain. the nurse told me that is bone pain & the epidural does absolutely nothing for it. i would say that part was the worst part of giving birth, those moments when the baby is moving through the pelvis. i still do not regret my decision for having one, though.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Make that your birth plan not to have one, but like you said, wait and see. Make sure it's your choice, no one else will be feeling the pain or experience other than you! :o)
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The epidural for me was miraculous!!! My Son was NOT drugged when he was born, things are done differently these day. I was given the epidural and it was instant relief. A little while later, I told the nurse that I feel a little bit of pain and she said, "well according to the monitor, your contractions are so strong so the mere fact that you are not hanging off the ceiling by your nails and talking to me, you are doing just fine!" LOL! I pushed 4-5 times & my Son was born. Piece of cake. I am going to have another child in June & I am having another epidural. BTW, when the Anesthesiologist put it in, I did not even feel it.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• yes please :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i didnt have one! there are natural birth classes u can take to learn how to work with the pain! also watch the business of being born! great movie! its up to u in the end tho! i will say tho i did almost crack a few times and want one but my hubby was very supportive and told me i was strong and i could do it even if i broke his hand lol!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I was going in with a 'wait and see' attitude with my first one. I was worried that if I got one too soon it would slow down labor, so I labored and labored until the pain was just about more than I could deal with. My plan was to make it to 6 or 7 centimeters before requesting it. They checked me when I finally asked for it and the nurse says "well you are 9 centimeters, you may as well do without". I told her as nicely as I could that I was told I could have an epidural at any point if I wanted it and I wanted it. So they gave it to me. No more pain after that! My husband was watching the monitor and he was saying "oh wow! That was a big one, that would have really hurt". I got my epidural at 9 am and I didn't have the baby until 1:30 pm, so I'm glad I didn't wait. The doctor didn't have me start pushing because I was comfortable and he wanted the baby to continue coming down on her own.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• For me, I ended up with the epidural. My plan was to endure as much as I could for as long as I could. I had an unexpected induction so maybe that made a difference but I did reach a point where I wanted the epidural and got it. For you, I say do your research and come up with a plan that YOU are comfortable with. And then come up with a Plan B and a Plan C because there are a lot of things that can happen. Like I said, my induction came out of the blue and pitocin probably changed the pain levels, and I wasn't able to walk around as a coping technique, but because I had back up plans and didn't set everything in stone to go one way only, I was able to roll with the punches and feel like I was still in control. Congrats and good luck to you!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i asked the doc if they had one i could take home with me. yea get the epidural. they are awesome
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2011