What is your view of parents who are raising their children as the opposite gender?

I just watched a show on TV about children who are apparently transgender. They are only around 6-8 and their parents are now raising them as the opposite sex, dressing them differently and even looking into surgeries to change their genitals and hormone treatments so they can 'become' the other gender. They believe that their children were born in the wrong sex's body. I honestly think it is abuse to do that to children this young, they don't know what they want yet.

I'm not even sure on my view about adults btu they have their own free will and I respect that and I would never make fuss, I haven't been in their heads. But with children, god no!

What's your view? Feel free to bash the hell out of me if you want, I'm genuinely looking for opinions!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Imagine being that poor child in the "wrong body" KNOWING they are a girl or boy and yet can't be - I think its a long road for everyone if you are in that position and my heart breaks for any one having to go through that situation as there will always be ridicule.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I dont really feel it is the parents choice... It is not our bodies it is the childs.
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I think at that age its a little weird and kinda disturbing. My son is almost 3. All of his clothes right now are 'boys clothes' but he has expressed an interest in girl's clothes. I'm not sure if its because the colors are brighter or what, but he really likes them. We don't buy him the girls clothes but we've bought him girly toys like baby dolls where you can tell the marketing demographic is for girls. If that's what he likes, then hey!

If my son came to me at a young age, say 6, and said he wasn't a boy, he was a girl, I'd have an age-appropriate discussion about how there are people out there who think they make have the wrong anatomy (or something like that, I haven't worked out the kinks of the discussion). I would find him groups to go talk to, whatever he needed to find a support system BUT I wouldn't go as far as to look into surgery at that age. If he seriously wanted to start dressing like a girl, fine.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 2:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I can understand letting them dress, and have their hair like the opposite sex.. but thinking about surgeries at such a young age is not a good idea. It COULD be a phase.. you never know! I would leave the medical treatments for when they are old enough to make their own decisions.,, But if my son thought he was supposed to be a girl.. i would support him. He is my baby.. and i will love him no matter what gender he chooses to be.. or chooses to be with.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 2:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• well, first of all I have watched the same show, and no hormones or surgery would be available until the child was of age to decide for him or herself,, I have a good friend (woman) in high school, she became a man, when she was an adult, she claims she knew that she was the wrong sex from about as soon as she could remember, so just going from her experience, if the kiddo is claiming they should be a boy or girl instead of what they were born as,, shouldn't the parents embrace the childs differences? I have many gay friends who wish their parents were supportive of the way they were born,, idk god doesn't make mistakes, so it is not up to me to judge,,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I think they are incredibly brave and I am in awe of them.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It's the childs chioice but I couldnt even begin to imagine what those children are going through
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 2:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• There is no need to bash you, but these parents are not abusing their children. Their children are really something called Transgender...they were born that way....many kids are born that way....Western civilization doesn't accept it at the moment, and there is a high suicide rate among people who are transgender...something like 40%...that is high...these parents are trying to save their children's lives by allowing them to be who they really are...these kids KNOW they are born with the wrong genitals as early as 3 years old...they insist on playing with traditional girl toys, want to wear girl clothing, and become depressed if their parents and society does not accept that...this isn't a decision parents are making for them...they are allowing their kids to be themselves...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• kimigogo - the show I watched they were going abroad to get the surgeries early.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It would be very hard to parent a child with this feeling that they are the opposite of their gender. I would definitely support their living how they feel comfortable. I would struggle with letting them have surgery before they are old enough to make that decision on their own, but I honestly don't know what I would do. I believe with the children you are talking about that there truly is something in them that feels they are the wrong sex on the outside. I don't think this is just a matter of being a tom-boy or an effeminate male, so I really believe that more damage is done by not accepting the fact that you can't just force the child to be his or her biological gender.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2011