My baby won't nurse!

My son is almost 3 months old, he's been exclusively breastfeeding since he was born, most of the time he nurses well without any problems, but sometimes, like today he won't nurse, and I know he's hungry i can't hear his timmy rumbling, but he won't nurse! he keeps pulling away from me, i don't know what to do...!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call a lactation specialist, or check out laleche's website. Best! xo
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• on the days that he won't nurse does it feel like there is alot of milk built up in your breasts? sometimes on a day like today try to pump some out and see if that helps. I had that problem at times and thats what i did. Good luck!
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Make sure your drinking enough water, that you haven't eaten something that may have turned him off (too acidic, milk,..etc).
    Even if he does a couple sucks, then he's getting something. Watch and hear for his swallowing. Make sure he continues to have wet diapers. If anything is off, then call his doctor and express your concerns.
    There was a time where my son would eat for two min and be satisfied for a couple hours. It was really alarming, but it just turned out he wasn't feeling good, and a few days later picked up again just like normal. GL! xo
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 2:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The only times my kids wouldn't nurse were if they had thrush, I was engorged or if they were congested.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It's a bit early but could he be starting to get a tooth? They can take a long time to come thru but if it is starting far under the gum that could cause pressure that is worse when he tries to latch on and nurse. Have you eaten any new food recently that might be giving your milk a funny taste? Those are the only things I can think of assuming he isn't exhibiting any signs of illness such as fever or tugging at his ears.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Teething comes to mind for me, too. It's not too early for it.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for more help.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Have you tried giving him a bottle? With your milk in it?
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 12:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2011