Is gaining weight a side effect of anti-anxiety meds?

I am considering asking my doc to go on anti-anxiety meds but I am concerned about gaining weight, since I am trying to lose a LOT of weight. I would hate to gain because of it..

bookmommy

Asked by bookmommy at 3:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Health

• yes , but not for all people.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yep...there is an herb my mom uses for her anxiety because ahe got hooked on the prescriptions and gained a ton of weight, it's called passion flower. I got it a local herbal store and it wasnt very expensive and she just takes it when the attack. She said they work just as well as any of the prescriptions shes ever had. but I would still talk to you doc if you having problems.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 3:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I think it depends on the person. However, if your anxiety is a serious issues, I'd put that before losing weight.

The Passion Flower reply seems interesting and I'd definitely look into it.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 3:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• If your anxiety is bad you should most definitely put that before your weight issue. You need to work on one thing at a time. I am curious about the Passion Flower herb and plan to research it.
    Mommyto2LilMen

Answer by Mommyto2LilMen at 3:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes they do when i started taking my anti-anxiety medication i gained alot of weight.
    shiffy2

Answer by shiffy2 at 8:08 AM on Feb. 26, 2011