Unions: Do you agree with these statements?

Collective bargaining rights~to mean the right of a union to bargain with an employer who must, by law, bargain in good faith. It also includes the right of a union to negotiate even for employees who don't want to be members of the union and don't want to pay dues to the union. So "collective bargaining rights" really mean the power to force others--to pay the dues and/or to join the union and/or to give up their power to negotiate with an employer. So the alleged right is really the "right" to monopolize the supply of labor to an employer. That's a phony right, not a real right. It's really a power.

~~~~~

Many unions have won higher wages and better working conditions for their members. In doing so, however, they have reduced the number of jobs available in unionized companies. That second effect occurs because of the basic law of demand: if unions successfully raise the price of labor, employers will purchase less of it. Thus, unions are a major anticompetitive force in labor markets. Their gains come at the expense of consumers, nonunion workers, the jobless, taxpayers, and owners of corporations.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• So the alleged right is really the "right" to monopolize the supply of labor to an employer. That's a phony right, not a real right. It's really a power.

yes, I completely agree with this statement.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I was going to post this little gem separately, but I think it will fit in VERY nicely in this thread!! Says it ALL. and straight from the horse's mouth!!

The following is but a glimpse inside the mindset of the outgoing general counsel of the NEA in 2009...

LINK

"It's not about the merit of their positions, it's not about caring about children, it's not about a vision of great schools for every child... it's about power... it's about paying dues... it's about advancing the interests of education employees..."

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I do agree.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Well Justmom223, I OBJECT to having my taxpayer dollars only paying for jobs that are supported by Democrat controlled unions. My taxes pay for those teacher jobs like LoriKeet has. Her OPINION is just as worthy as yours and my tax dollars shouldn't go to one exclusively.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Help those children in private schools!

***
    Children with special needs are NOT as welcome in private schools as the "little snowflakes" are!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I don't know Lori but what if she wants to work with kids whose parents can not afford to send their kids to private schools? You know the ones who might actually need teachers that actually care about the kids? Either toe the line or get out.

Glad its always about the kids.

***
    EXACTLY!! It's not about anyone except the person in the UNION!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Sweet they still retain their bargaining rights for wages up to consumer price index above that to goes referendum to the voters.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It's all true. Some unions are just plain bad. I think most people do not know just how much like a mafia some unions are. Mostly up north. They have all kinds of restrictions on the businesses regarding hiring and firing. You have no say in what they do with your dues and they really will threaten people or tell companies to lay off instead of other cost cutting measures that could be made.

My dh is in a union only because you have no rights if you aren't. The last time the union "helped" him he lost a % of his P-pay because they said it was to much more than other people made. Just goes to show most unions are not there to protect workers but to keep them equal.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2011