Baby wont eat meals!! help pls

My almost 14 month old son will not sit and actually eat a meal. If I feed him out of his high chair he will take a few bites nd go nd play nd doesn't want anymore!

The only way he will eat is if I give him somethin to take with him like a cracker or slice of banana etc. And then I will find half of it laying in the floor or he will give it to the dog. And he will drink his milk.

He's really healthy but I'm still concerned about him not wanting to eat bc he's not getting the nutrients he needs with just a bite here and there....

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You will just have to strap him in his high chair and tell him its time to eat and show him what he has to eat to get down. I have this problem with my 2 yr old. You have to be consistant if one day u let him run around and eat and then the next day he sits in his high chair u are sending missed signals. good luck momma
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 4:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• try smaller, more frequent meals rather than a lot to eat 3 times a day. plus he will learn by example if you sit down as a family and eat.
    i had that problem until recently because my husband refuses to sit down to dinner, so they kept wanting to sit in front of the tv and eat and run around at the same time (my husband gets up and wanders around when he's done which is what they're copying). i do breakfast, lunch and dinner, but also two snack times as well. kids have small stomachs and a short attention spans, so don't worry too much about making him sit for a long time to eat a big meal. good luck!
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 4:05 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• He will eat when he is hungry had this issue with my son took hime to the doc and he said your child will eat when he is hungry dont force it
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 5:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• my son is 14 months and the same way. Right before a meal we try to play a bit calmer so he is not so hyper while he is in his highchair. we provide a variety of different finger foods since he HATES if we try to feed him. I read that toddler caloric intake is made up 25% from their snacks. We have a non-spill cup we keep goldfish in on the side table along with a sippie of carrot apple juice so that he can graze.
    MakingBrinkers

Answer by MakingBrinkers at 5:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The problem is that you're allowing him to run off and play instead of sitting and eating his meal. You need to instill in him that he is to sit down and eat his meal. DO NOT FEED HIM BY HAND! He is old enough to feed himself and he needs to learn that independence. As well, it needs to be inforced that he is to sit down and eat. Don't give him snacks/treats if he doesn't eat all of his meal. You're allowing him to have this behavior by not enforcing sitting and eating his meal. He may throw a fit and say he doesn't want to eat, because he knows before you let him run off and play. However, if you be consistant and he realizes he has to eat in order to go play then he'll give in and do what is asked of him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Are you feeding him snacks through out the day? I had this problem with my son. I ended up reducing the amount of food I gave him for afternoon snack from a biscuit and a fruit to just a biscuit one day and a fruit the next day. I did that for about 2 weeks. He started eating supper with out complaining and he would usually finish his meal.
    ShyMama0817

Answer by ShyMama0817 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You should also try a booster seat. My son was that way when he was that young. Now as long as we strap him in the chair he will eat. He wont eat all of it but he at least sits through the meal and tries eating everything on his plate. I also give him a pediasure at lunch time to fill in all the gaps of nutrition. It helps me feel better about my sons eating habits.
    proudmommy42008

Answer by proudmommy42008 at 2:20 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:53 AM on Feb. 27, 2011